Napolean 1100c vs Englander NC-13

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

disjointed

Dec 3, 2008
SE ohio
hey everybody!
I'd like to first say that i'm glad to have found this forum, it is loaded with a ton of information and has been very helpful!

first the backline: I am a noobie woodburner, I have been researching for about 2 weeks, and am about to purchase my first stove. I have a newer, well insulated 1100sq' house in SE ohio, the first floor is mostly open (vaulted combo kitchen/LR - stove is planned for near the main door in the kitchen), the vaulted ceiling is entirely open following the stairway to the upstairs, so I would think the upstairs will heat just fine. I also have a propane furnace for a backup source

Question:
I have narrowed my search down to 2 stoves, an Englander NC-13 (can purchase new for ~$700), and a Napolean 1100c (can purchase used, asking $750 with blower, used several seasons)

generally, do you think either of these stoves would work well for me, and would i be better off purchasing a new plate steel, or a used cast iron?

pre-thanks for any replies!

Same size firebox (basically), same size of wood capacity (18"). Both stoves have great reputations. Man, assuming the 1100 is in good shape, I don't think you could go wrong with either choice. Get the one YOU like best.

EDIT: make sure you take a good hard look at the used stove. You just don't want to be getting one that has been pre-abused.

Not that it matters, but the 1100C is really a steel stove also, with cast-iron surrounds/shields on the top and sides. The 1100C has closer clearances, otherwise it's mostly personal preference.

thanks for the replies.
sneaky napoleon!

I am leaning towards the Englander, mainly due to its outside air intake ability.
though its too bad i didnt buy it last week, before the price went up $100 for the heating season.

Status
Not open for further replies.