Nashua Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkpoor

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2008
Amanda, OH
I've been heating my house for about 8yrs now with a wood stove in my walkout basement. Until this tear I had a one off custom built stove that was little more than a steel box with a hole in the top. It worked pretty good. Earlier this year my neighbor decided to sell his wood stove as it was too much for his place. After looking it over I decided it was a well built sturdy stove that had potential to heat better than my old one. It weighs 500lbs and is built like a tank. I've been heating for a couple of weeks now with it and I am very impressed.
One of the things I like about it is how the stove can be operating at 600-700 degrees and pipe temp never gets above 300. My old stove would turn the pipe cherry red if I fired it that hot for obvious reasons. Hard to believe Nashua with such an efficient design went out of business. I realize it is an old stove with no modern catylitic features. But the efficiency has to be as good as what is produced today and the heat output revels others I have been around.
Does anyone here on this forum have history on this company or the stoves they built and any pros cons about these 30+ year old designs. BTW this stove has an 8" out pipe and I have it reduced to 6". The chimney is triple wall approx. 35' from the ceiling. Total pipe length from stove to top about 42'.
Thanks Bill

My Grandfather heats with a Nashua stove. Granted it burns a little more wood than the new epa stoves, but that thing is a monster of a wood heater! He keeps his house around a comfortable 85 to 90 in the middle of winter. He's had that stove 30 plus years and uses it as an only source of heat. I would love to come by one for my garage! I knew of 2 other people that had the same stove he does, they would not part with it for nothing. He's got about a 10 to 12 foot straight shot of 8 inch triple wall pipe ( the same one for 30 years). This thing will pull a draft like you wouldn't believe on the warmest of fall/spring days. But at 82 years old I guess I'd look forward to being self sufficient in the winter. I've always believed the woodstove has kept him active and kept him healthy all these years! I wasn't being sarcastic about the 85,90 degree

My neighbor just got one. That thing cranks the heat out unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.