Nasty Dust Inside Box Elder - Allergies?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was splitting some box elder today, and some of the splits had in them remnants of old, rotted branches that had been encapsulated. (No outside evidence of a former branch - only a swelling.) The remnants of these old branches inside the tree were nothing but a brown dusty substance. I looked at the stuff, but didn't touch it or have much of anything to do with it. Since I finished splitting, I have had a HUGE problem with sneezing, runny nose, and runny eyes. I'm wondering if there was something there that I'm allergic to. Has anyone ever had a similar experience?

Thanks,
-Speak

Could be.
Maybe some dry mold spores?
Maybe you just have a cold. Tis the season :)

SpeakEasy said:
Was splitting some box elder today, and some of the splits had in them remnants of old, rotted branches that had been encapsulated. (No outside evidence of a former branch - only a swelling.) The remnants of these old branches inside the tree were nothing but a brown dusty substance. I looked at the stuff, but didn't touch it or have much of anything to do with it. Since I finished splitting, I have had a HUGE problem with sneezing, runny nose, and runny eyes. I'm wondering if there was something there that I'm allergic to. Has anyone ever had a similar experience?

Thanks,
-Speak

Ditto here to the allergy to box elder. The wood itself doesn't seem to bother me but I can't saw it as the dust gets to me. If I had my way with my Dr. I'd say box elder sent me on a long, long trail of sinus infections. :(

I knew a guy that was quite alergic to wood. The problem was that he was a cabinet maker.

I know Cedar sawdust gets to me.

So stay away from from box elder in the future for sure.

Backwoods Savage said:
So stay away from from box elder in the future for sure.

I do. I gave away about 1/2 cord that I had to take in order to get some shagbark hickory. The box elder was around 8" diameter, 4' lengths - great, east sawing. The previous year I had sawed up about a face cord of the same size, dry as a bone. The sawdust was like I was tossing baby powder around me. Never again! I don't even care if it's green wood - I won't cut it anymore. :)

Well, the runny nose and eyes lasted for a couple of days and then went away. Since it started suddenly and ended sort of suddenly, I really don't think it was a cold. I've never really had this sort of thing happen with wood before. I think there must be some mold spores inside the wood, and splitting it released them. I think that's what I'm reacting to, but who knows for sure?

It's a bit of a bummer because I've got quite a bit left to process. Some friends and I took most of this huge old box elder down for an elderly lady, and I get to keep the firewood. But I have to do the splitting. I guess I'll try wearing a dust mask the next time I work on it.

-Speak

Status
Not open for further replies.