NC13 chow all free (pic).

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ProjectX

Oct 5, 2009
CT
This is my first year getting lucky with free BTUs. I still have not run my little nc13 24/7 yet but was planning to next year. If i really push my little stove 90% of the time how much will she eat say in 4 months? I know there are many variables but lets say half pine and half wht/red oak good and seasoned maybe 25% and under on the MM. I have been hand splitting with a 8lb maul and taking all I can get for the most part. Here are my stacks to date. On the left under the over hang is pine(for the start of 2012 to give the oak more time) about 2 cords. The stack/cube in the back is also mostly pine ?cords. Other stack/cube is oak ?cords. I still have much more oak to split like 2-3 more cubes like the one in front I have not measured . I just have no clue how much i need but i do know i want all i can get. I am going to try not to use the oak till the year after.

John

Attachments

• post.jpg
    post.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 814
I'm still trying to figure out my wood consumption too. I'm figuring on 5 cord a year. As near as I can tell it looks like you got maybe 4 cord. Pat

The over hang is 8'x10' 7'high but not full. the stacks/cubes are about 6'x6'x6'.
I hope i don't burn 5 cords a year I will not have room for 2-3 years wood lol I live in the city. The White cover/tent is 20' long.

Nice little set-up there.
Handy having a variety and choice in what wood to burn.
If you're running a 13, I wouldn't be surprised if you got away only burning 3 cords.

hmmmm... Thats a good question that I'm trying to answer myself too, with my NC13. Last year learning, from January 1 to the end of April-ish I ran almost a cord of wood through. I'm under the assumation that since it was half way through the season last year. That and this year, I'm trying to utilize full capacity on the wood heat, instead of the furnace. That I'll be in the neighbor hood of 2 to 2 1/2 cords in consumption, but with 3 cords ready to go. This year has been very mild so far, with only a few dips into the teens. Currently I'm probably just shy of using a cord so far.

I'm in the same boat as you are - no space while living in the city. It's a bummer, but what can you do?
Last year I burned about 3 cords in an older stove, and recently upgraded to the NC-30. Even if my wood usage stays the same, I'll be happy as a clam.

I was thinking with the small firebox of the 13 and the fact I work days with no one home to tend the stove my usage should be less( maybe not burning 24/7 but warm 24/7). If i can stay under 3 cords i think i can keep 2-3 years ahead. The overhang (8x10x7 ISH) holds just over 4cords I think. The problem i have is most wood here is oak ( not really a problem) and it takes longer to season that why i started grabbing all the pine I could find for now. I will post pics of this years scores.

Here are some scores. The oak with all the poison ivy i only took one truck load the said screw this no way lol itch city for two weeks.

All with a Chevy avalanche and a lowes trailer

Attachments

• postyu.jpg
    postyu.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 594
  • postdgd.jpg
    postdgd.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 611
  • postdfg.jpg
    postdfg.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 599
  • post65656.jpg
    post65656.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 613
Congrats very nice score X!

Ray

Great score! I'd only suggest, if you have the room, to stack that oak further from the side of the tarped garage and more space between rows - it really needs space to breathe in order to dry within reasonable time. Cheers!

Nice score! Another CT NC-13 owner! There are a few of us here. I am heating 1400sqft with mine. I will go through probably 3 cords this year if it actually gets cold... Where in CT are you. I'm in Berlin.

I started using my NC-13 in late Sept. daily. I also am gone all day, and burn pine to heat approx. 1200 ft of old drafty house. Went thru 1 cord of good, dry pine in about 2 months. Of course, my cold weather is coming and consumption will likely go up. The prevailing NW wind here sucks the heat right out of the house.

Next summer I plan on a couple new windows and some better insulation.

Stay warm!!

Just for some frame of reference, any wood in my stacks testing 25% MC is for next year, at earliest.
Once down to ~15% or less outdoors, it can come in for further drying near the stove.
EPA stoves respond very well to all that. (Water burns very poorly.)

Unfortunately this is the only space I have to stack unseasoned wood. I do move some seasoned closer to the house at the start of winter maybe 1/2-1cord.

The pine/locust stack/cube in the back right will be re-stacked under the over hang in the spring or when this year wood is gone or moved.
I am thinking re-stacking will shuffle the splits giving equal exposure to wind and such for drying.

I will repeat this step the following year with the oak giving it 2 summers seasoning time.

Attachments

• Wood id 2.jpg
    Wood id 2.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 385
That is some very nice looking firewood. May it dry fast for you.

ProjectX said:
Here are some scores. The oak with all the poison ivy i only took one truck load the said screw this no way lol itch city for two weeks.

All with a Chevy avalanche and a lowes trailer

Other then the ivy, nice scrounge.

zap

I took mostly tips from the oak with the ivy thinking i should be fine just wash up good and such but it didn't work out that way.
3 days later itch like mad lesson learned( Tea Tree Oil worked wonders). The really bad part was my boots some poison ivy oil must have gotten in the cuff and
ever time i put my boots on my ankles would break out with rash.

I put a NC13 in my office at work so this is my first year using one also.

I'd love to have a stove at work!

Nice wood stacks! Whats in the white tent? Wood consumption has many variables. Getting to the end of your wood before the end of cold weather - sucks! I've been there twice and it's no fun. I'd make as much space as you can! I would have taken every crumb of that oak!

Nice stacks!

Status
Not open for further replies.