NE CT wood purchase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edthedawg

Minister of Fire
Just got 4 cords from Dave's Logging in Stafford, CT. Spent some time talking to him. He's old school but good at what he does. Claims he moves 1200 cord/yr. paid $150/cord for split, unseasoned oak, hickory, and birch dumped in my back yard. Recommended in the area. 860-684-6533.

Edthedawg said:
Just got 4 cords from Dave's Logging in Stafford, CT. Spent some time talking to him. He's old school but good at what he does. Claims he moves 1200 cord/yr. paid $150/cord for split, unseasoned oak, hickory, and birch dumped in my back yard. Recommended in the area. 860-684-6533.
That's a really good price for CT assuming it's mostly oak and hickory.

Mostly oak. Probably 60+ of it. Then birch (~20%) and some hickory (huge carpenter ants living in it) and maple make up the rest. I threw the few "anty" pieces I could find (w/ lots of very cold, dormant, ticked off ants clinging to the sides) off away from the pile.

I need to build my new open-sided 8-cord shed PRONTO!

Got a fair amount of splitting-down to do - some of this stuff is big. He told me to ask for finer splits next time. He's clearly used to smoke dragons w/ bigger fireboxes than the Heritage :)

One interesting thing he said - makes sense but I wanted to float it here - he allegedly cut these trees 2 months ago, and claims the moisture content should be WAY down since the sap hadn't started running. Any truth to such a claim?

Edthedawg said:
Mostly oak. Probably 60+ of it. Then birch (~20%) and some hickory (huge carpenter ants living in it) and maple make up the rest. I threw the few "anty" pieces I could find (w/ lots of very cold, dormant, ticked off ants clinging to the sides) off away from the pile.

I need to build my new open-sided 8-cord shed PRONTO!

Got a fair amount of splitting-down to do - some of this stuff is big. He told me to ask for finer splits next time. He's clearly used to smoke dragons w/ bigger fireboxes than the Heritage :)

One interesting thing he said - makes sense but I wanted to float it here - he allegedly cut these trees 2 months ago, and claims the moisture content should be WAY down since the sap hadn't started running. Any truth to such a claim?
yes to a point it all fills heavy to me right now

Edthedawg said:

He is partially right. Naturally the trees will have less sap in the winter which is one big reason we do all our cutting then. However, they are a long, long ways from even thinking they are seasoned. As for the moisture content being WAY down.....that is a meaningless statement. The moisture content will be down some but not what I'd call WAY down.

Ed, I'd say you got a good price on that wood and it sounds like you will be doing business with this fellow in the future. Congratulations.

Thanks - kinda what I figured... He tried to tell me I had my wood split down too small, and I tried to tell him there was no way I should be burning what he just delivered next winter.

Neither one of us was making much headway... :)

I found another local guy offering "seasoned" wood (cut fall '07) at $185/cord, so I'm going to call him (after the shed is built) and find out the real skinny. If it's good wood, I'd gladly pay the extra for someone else having put in the seasoning time.

Edthedawg said:
Thanks - kinda what I figured... He tried to tell me I had my wood split down too small, and I tried to tell him there was no way I should be burning what he just delivered next winter.

Neither one of us was making much headway... :)

I found another local guy offering "seasoned" wood (cut fall '07) at $185/cord, so I'm going to call him (after the shed is built) and find out the real skinny. If it's good wood, I'd gladly pay the extra for someone else having put in the seasoning time.

be careful.... many people get wood from logging companies or have sell so much firewood that they claim it was down 2yrs and thats seasoned but like i found out ....ITS BS ... if i was you go and see the wood first. or you could take some of your splits and resplit them twice yes twice lay them off somewhere seperate in a single row where you get a lotta of sun to bake em and you will be able to burn those by late nov early dec .... but the need to be thin....

if you are building a shed ..hurry up! but no need to waste the extra money for something you can do yourself.......
i learned the hard way bought what was supposed to be 3.5-5 cds of seasoned wood for 700+ well it was split for my order from 2yr downed trees ... soaking wet...... eneded up buying 2 cds @195 each for seasoned wood the aqnother 150 for dry seasoned from a friend to get me through but as you can see close to 1300 for about 6.5-7 cds in which i could only burn 3....... i will never make that mistake again!! just spent 200 in nov for 2.75 of red oak that i split in nov and is now stacked looking great for next year!!! ( could prolly burn some this winter as you can see a lot of drying took place this past winter (it was soooo cold)
if we have a hot summer watch out:)

Status
Not open for further replies.