NE (NH Southern) Experiences

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpcm

Oct 1, 2010
Sandown, NH
www.mpcm.com
I normally hang out in the Pellet stove forum, and browse the other groups. I'm highly interested in alternative energy DIY systems, and am considering my options heading forward. I'm fairly technical and very handy when I need to be.

I'd be curious in hearing about your experiences and what you find is working well for you. I've always found first hand experiences and good connections are invaluable. Moved to NH into an old farm house, which should be well suited for solar and possibly wind on a smaller scale in the future.

Any folks here from southern NH (or ME/NH/VT for that matter) with functional alternative energy systems?

mpcm- I am waiting for certain photovoltaic advances before I may invest there. It seems we're in a generally poor place for wind power, I suppose unless you're on the coast. Is it ALWAYS windy in Portsmouth or what?

south facing side of the house
terrain map
closest weather station

I'm slightly above 400', but with it sloping to the north instead. But I seem to get decent exposure, especially if I end up using the barn roof for solar in the long run. I'll probably be attempting to reduce my heating costs initially, over power generation... but we do lose power more frequently than most it seems. Bought the place in the end of 2009, so I'm still getting a feel for the place and plotting what to tackle next. Wife says she'd like cabinets in the kitchen, but she's pretty understanding (was an empty room when we bought it). ;)

I really should setup one of those weather stations up on the house/barn roof to get some better data for this exact location.

I am up in the north country and have two small PV systems and SHW, along with a wood boiler that is linked with my oil furnace. I dont have a hot water storage tank but its on my long term list.

There are better incentives for PV and hot water in NH then in Maine, the best source for funding links is this one http://www.dsireusa.org/incentives/index.cfm?re=1&ee=1&spv=0&st=0&srp=1&state=NH (it works for all states). As usual you need to read the fine print but SHW is probably the best bang for the buck with the state incentives and federal rebate. There are also incentives for pellet boilers (30% up to $6,000). It would be worth looking into soon as the legislature is looking at pulling out of the regional greenhouse gas program that funds most of the rebates. Before you do anything make sure you town has implemented the property tax exclusion for renewable energy, otherwise the increased property taxes may offset any savings.

The best investment is deep energy retrofits after you have done the basics. Insulate the basement walls and sills plus make sure you have R38 in the attic. After that, if your interior plaster is rough consider ripping it out and retrofitting 1" of foam on top of the studs after sealing any air leaks in the existing wall cavity. While you are in there you can probably upgrade the electrical circuits as older homes usually are a hodgepodge. Property taxes are usually based on square footage so insulation rarely raises your taxes (a wood shed will).

If you want to mess with wind, realize that the odds are greatly against you, the majority of small windmills have major issues and the harsh climate in NH is going to make them even more unreliable. If you have money to burn and dont care about the payback, its probably a interesting way of getting frustrated. Thats not just my opinion, many of the long term small wind experts, have the same opinion, if you want to read and eyeopener this is interesting http://www.wind-works.org/SmallTurbines/An Open Letter to Inventors by Mick Sagrillo.pdf

I have two small PV systems in northern NH and if they are installed right, there isnt a lot to break but the payback is lousy even with the rebates. My SHW system covers my domestic hot water needs for about 6 months a year so no need to pay for hot water or keep a furnace on line during that period. I had 135 degree water coming off the panels yesterday on a 25 degree day, so they panels even help out during the wnter if the sun is out. I believe you can DIY a SHW installation so you can save even more money, although you may need to do a shading survey or have someone do it for you.

There is an energy cooperative group in Plymouth NH http://www.plymouthenergy.org/ , that may have spawned some similar organizations in your area. They do solar hot water "barn raisings" where everyone goes out and installs hot water systems at members houses. They get evacauted tube systems at dealer cost so its great way of getting a system installed for low cost. They have done enough systems that theri standard design is bug free. They are"peak oilers" so you may or may not fit into their politics, but they do have a good approach at acting locally.

There is a NH solar tour day every year in the area usually in October and usually a conference at UNH in the spring. Might be worth keeping and eye out for them.

That's really good info, Peak. My 10 year plan involves paying off my house, ramping up my side business, and doing things like installing the wood boiler so that I have few monthly bills when I retire young (fingers crossed, knocking on wood, etc). Electric savings have to be part of that, though I doubt my wife would give up the DVR and plasma TV. She makes enough concessions though, and will probably be the bread winner in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.