Nearly over fired my new stove. I'm in the learning curve.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtcates

Mar 1, 2010
Central NC
For those of you who have read the thread about Firewood being to long for new stove. Thats me. the stove is an Englander 30. The little 3 to 4 inch cutoffs that I created cutting my stack, well I used a few of them last night on the fire. I put maybe 8 to 10 of those small cutoffs on a few coals at 2am this morning. The total weight of the wood might have been 10 to 12 lbs. I mean I expected a small fire but all these small pieces started off gassing like mad and the whole firebox was full of secondary flames. The stove got up to 700 degrees with the primary shut off. It stayed there for at least 30 to 45 minutes. I am so glad I did not put on a few more. I never would have expected the resulting inferno from such a small fuel load. It is certainly the geometry of the fuel load that contributed to this. I am much wiser now after this experience. I sure wish there was a shut off valve for the secondary air.

There is. Just put a piece of aluminum foil over the rectangular opening in the bottom of the back of the stove right behind that round primary air intake tube. Viola. Secondary air is shut off.

Status
Not open for further replies.