Neat Vent Idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting a register directly over the stove is not a neat idea. If there is a fire, the precious seconds that could save a life may be lost with a power assisted vent directly over the stove. Especially one without a firedamper.

If one is an electronics geek, a simple 120v thermostat will also work. Lux makes the LV3 (line voltage) which sells for about $17. Or the programmable WIN100 for about $30 which already has the plug socket in it.

Clever guy, but that installation's neither safe nor legal. Lots of clever guys have found themselves in big trouble of every imaginable kind because they didn't take the time to learn about or think about all the implications of their bright ideas. Rick

Never thought of that....

I wouldn't put it directly above the stove, but i can see the concern for spreading the fire if there ever was one.

I looked up the WIN100 and I am just curious how you guys have your setup if you have one....

Kind of new to the whole wood burning thing and I assume you guys are running blowers and have that hooked the the tstat?

BeGreen said:
Putting a register directly over the stove is not a neat idea. If there is a fire, the precious seconds that could save a life may be lost with a power assisted vent directly over the stove. Especially one without a firedamper.

If one is an electronics geek, a simple 120v thermostat will also work. Lux makes the LV3 (line voltage) which sells for about $17. Or the programmable WIN100 for about $30 which already has the plug socket in it.
Thanks for the info, I think I might pick up one of these thermostats to help improve air flow around the house. I was planing on just using a fan plugged into the wall, but I'm sure this would save some money by automatically shutting off the fan after the stove cools off...

Particle Man said:
Is a fire damper required for openings in floors that are not fire rated? If there is a code, can someone cite it so I can look it up.

This is one of the things that use to drive Elkimmeg nutso. He never could come up with the code against this. If you have up to snuff smoke/co detectors, burn dry wood with a good stove properly installed, I don't have a problem with floor vents. Some people have big open stairwells that could spread a fire quickly, should that be considered a code violation too?

Yes, Elk and I went around a few times with this one. The place where I agree with him is that the main thing is to buy time. 30-60 seconds can make all the difference in the world. Good alarms, fusible link dampers and a long smoke path all help. True an open staircase in a fire can be a chimney. The point being not to make a situation any worse than it need be. Hopefully one will never need to have that extra minute, but if required there will be no regrets investing in a bit more caution. Same thing goes for firestops in walls, around the flue penetrations between floors. You never know if or when they may be needed.

http://www.ul.com/regulators/dampers.cfm

Particle Man said:
Is a fire damper required for openings in floors that are not fire rated? If there is a code, can someone cite it so I can look it up.

https://www2.iccsafe.org/states/Virginia/

this is our state code, requires 135 F fusable links , acess for all states are available. follow the link and back up to choose your state. free PDF for referrence

Status
Not open for further replies.