Need a little help Enviro M55 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blkjac1224

Dec 30, 2010
S.Nh
First post and looking for some help. I recently installed a brand new enviro m55 pellet insert. I made the zero clearance box with the dura rock and all that good stuff. Now that I had the stove insert installed by the dealer I am getting a odor from the stove almost like a chemical smell. Any ideas? I have run the stove for 4 days on and off. So I don't think it would still be the paint burn off. One more question I want to make surer the exhaust is suppose to be a little black outside. Thanks guys I am new to the pellet arena.

Kevin

You might get better info by posting this in the Pellet Stove Forum . . . a lot of Woodies tend to post in this section. I will say most pellet stove exhaust I have seen is pretty clean . . . except for maybe a bit on start up . . . and it usually isn't black -- more like gray-white.

Blkjac1224 said:
First post and looking for some help. I recently installed a brand new enviro m55 pellet insert. I made the zero clearance box with the dura rock and all that good stuff. Now that I had the stove insert installed by the dealer I am getting a odor from the stove almost like a chemical smell. Any ideas? I have run the stove for 4 days on and off. So I don't think it would still be the paint burn off. One more question I want to make surer the exhaust is suppose to be a little black outside. Thanks guys I am new to the pellet arena.

Kevin

Welcome Blkjac1224,

It does take a bit to burn off the paint. It took about 4 hours on a medium high setting to cure mine. But I did get more smell when I went to full high. Are you sure you don't have a exhaust leak or something to close in back of the insert?

I would call the dealer ASAP and see if he could come check it out.

Blkjac1224 said:

Kevin

I'd bet it is still the paint burning in. Have you turned it up to heat setting 5 and left it there for an hour or so? If not, do that and then see how it smells on lower settings after that. Mine was so strong that it smoked up the house the first time I turned it up. I thought I had an exhaust leak, but it was just the paint curing.
Flynfrfun

flynfrfun said:
Blkjac1224 said:

Kevin

I'd bet it is still the paint burning in. Have you turned it up to heat setting 5 and left it there for an hour or so? If not, do that and then see how it smells on lower settings after that. Mine was so strong that it smoked up the house the first time I turned it up. I thought I had an exhaust leak, but it was just the paint curing.
Flynfrfun

I noticed this hole on the upper front right above the door. It almost looks like there is a screw missing. That could be a reason why the upper right part of the glass gets covered.

I dont have the M55 but I have a new Empress Insert and the owners manual has a page or so on the first fire up process. The enamel painted stoves take longer to burn the paint off. There is a specific process and amount of time that they recommend that you run that stove at. My house smelled terrible and my smoke alarms would go off for the first few days or so.
Check you owners manual they should have a section just on first fire up.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.