Need a Multi-Stage Thermostat w/ 8 Degree Differential

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twofer

Jun 4, 2008
SLP Michigan
My system consists of my newly installed EKO with 500 gallons of pressurized storage and a forced air propane furnace. Ideally what I'd like to have happen is for the EKO to provide the heat and if the temperature drops 8 degrees to have the propane kick on. My problem is that I can't find a thermostat that will handle that large of a difference between the heat stages.

Anybody have a line on a thermostat that could do this?

If I understand you correctly you currently have one multi stage thermostat but it's temp differential isn't sufficient?

It sounds like the best solution (in my books) is to just use two thermostats. Set your wood boiler system at 72 and set your furnace system at 64 and you are set to go.

I don't know of a multi-stager that will allow an 8 degree change as they are usually set to kick both stages in based on a narrow band.

I use a 2nd thermostat ad set it higher than my FAF thermostat. I charge the tanks then circulate from tanks to dhw and faf heat ex. I love it this way as my duct work is always warm with no cold hot temp swing like with my FAF.

FAF= forced air furnace

Rob

I use one thermostat with a honeywell suface mount aquastat on the water line from the boiler. If the boiler goes out and the water temp drops below 125, then the natural gas comes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.