Need a new saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffm24

Sep 1, 2010
Western MA
I have been running my little Husqvarna 16" 435 for about 2 years and not that I have gotten serious about dropping trees and burning wood I need some more speed, power, and bar length.

I have been driving myself crazy looking at the mid grade and pro grade Stihl and Husqvarna saws. I know I need more but how much more do I need? Is mid grade enough? 50cc? 55cc? 60cc?

I'd rather not spend a fortune but I really don't want another slow under powered saw. I'd appreciate some reccomendations for a saw with a 20" bar.

Thanks!

I was in the same boat as you up until about a month ago.
I found a Stihl MS-391 which is a 4.4 hp, 20" bar, mid-grade saw for a hell of a deal.
The saw had only been used twice and showed very little wear.
After using it for over 5 cords of wood I can tell you that but not for getting it for almost 150 below MSRP I think I would of passed.
When your looking at the weight to power ratio of a mid-grade vs a pro saw the differene is quite noticable after a couple hours cutting.
If you have the means, stick with a pro-grade, you'll not be disappointed.

I have been looking at the 455 460 and 359. The Stihl saws look great and people seem to love them but we do have a great Husqvarna dealer right here in town.

Size really depends on what size the wood you cut is. If your a scrounger I'd go 60cc to handle the bigger stuff that comes along, since you've got a limbing saw already.
If it's to be Husky would (in this order): 1. wait a few months 'till the 555 comes out. It looks to have the power of a 60cc, weight of a 50cc, pro construction & reasonable price. 2. 359 (nice). 3. 460. Any will pull a 20" with authority
If you cut from a woodlot, 50cc more likely all you need: 1. 353 2. 349xp 3. 450 The 450 wouldn't pull a 20" too well. The others could, but prefer an 18"

The 359 and 353 are essentially pro-grade, but geared more to firewood cutters. 349xp is affordable pro-saw. 450 & 460 mid-grade. I own a 455 and it is a fine saw, but heavy for the power. I say if you're going to carry the weight, you should get the extra power of the 460 instead.

The 435 and a good 60cc will be a nice combo.

midwestcoast said:
Size really depends on what size the wood you cut is. If your a scrounger I'd go 60cc to handle the bigger stuff that comes along, since you've got a limbing saw already.
If it's to be Husky I would (in this order): 1. wait a few months 'till the 555 comes out. It looks to have the power of a 60cc, weight of a 50cc, pro construction & reasonable price. 2. 359 (nice). 3. 460. Any will pull a 20" with authority
If you cut from a woodlot, 50cc more likely all you need: 1. 353 2. 349xp 3. 450 The 450 wouldn't pull a 20" too well. The others could, but prefer an 18"

The 359 and 353 are essentially pro-grade, but geared more to firewood cutters. 349xp is affordable pro-saw. 450 & 460 mid-grade. I own a 455 and it is a fine saw, but heavy for the power. I say if you're going to carry the weight, you should get the extra power of the 460 instead.

The 435 and a good 60cc will be a nice combo.

+1 361. And if you can find one at a dealer, you'd get it for a steal. If not, look used or buy a 362.

S

Dolmar PS-6400 or MS391

I'm in about the same boat, I need a saw and have been looking at saws. The three I'm looking at are the Echo ps400, the Dolmar 420 and the Stihl 250 , I have a dealer for all three very close. I would like to stay in
the 46cc range saw and 16- 18 inch bar . I don't know if any or all would be underpowered. I am new to cutting and dont want to go with an 700 dollar saw at this point. Any suggestions would be great

estang said:
I'm in about the same boat, I need a saw and have been looking at saws. The three I'm looking at are the Echo ps400, the Dolmar 420 and the Stihl 250 , I have a dealer for all three very close. I would like to stay in
the 46cc range saw and 16- 18 inch bar . I don't know if any or all would be underpowered. I am new to cutting and dont want to go with an 700 dollar saw at this point. Any suggestions would be great

I have a 250 with the 18". Great saw!

thinkxingu said:
+1 361. And if you can find one at a dealer, you'd get it for a steal. If not, look used or buy a 362.

S

+2

estang said:

What part of Ohio do you live in?

Elyria

Little far from me (I'm in Wayne county) but if your ever down this way I have a 260 you could run.

Get One good pro saw 60-80cc Done!

HittinSteel said:
Little far from me (I'm in Wayne county) but if your ever down this way I have a 260 you could run.

Thanks for the invite, Was in Ahsland this AM, At the Fur Fin Feater

That's a great place..... buy most of my fishing gear there. I'm just east on 250 near Wooster

Thanks for the helo guys. I'm thinking about the Stihl 311 and the Husqvarna 359 now, both are in the low to mid 4 hp range, both are roughly 60cc, the husky is lighter, the Stihl is cheaper and both are mid grade saws. I still here the voice in my head saying "they aren't pro saws and 60 cc is the minumum for a 20" bar". Then again I'm not a pro, I'm just a firewood cutter doing 3-6 cords a year and either is a big step up from my little 435.

Either of those are excellent firewood saws, and no you don't need a pro saw for 3-6 cords a year. For what it's worth the 359 is constructed as a pro saw based on the 357XP, just has a catalytic muffler & slightly different piston & cylinder for more torque, less peak HP. Thats one reason it's lighter.
Not sure of the exact construction of the 311, but it isn't based on any pro model as far as I know. This really only matters much if it needed significant repairs (pros are easier/cheaper to re-build). THe 311 has a stratofied 2-stroke engine, which IMO is a better way to reduce emissions than a catalytic muffler. Should be a bit better on gas too.

Go handle them both at the saw shops.

midwestcoast said:
Either of those are excellent firewood saws, and no you don't need a pro saw for 3-6 cords a year. For what it's worth the 359 is constructed as a pro saw based on the 357XP, just has a catalytic muffler & slightly different piston & cylinder for more torque, less peak HP. Thats one reason it's lighter.
Not sure of the exact construction of the 311, but it isn't based on any pro model as far as I know. This really only matters much if it needed significant repairs (pros are easier/cheaper to re-build). THe 311 has a stratofied 2-stroke engine, which IMO is a better way to reduce emissions than a catalytic muffler. Should be a bit better on gas too.

Go handle them both at the saw shops.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.