Need a recommendation for some bendy chimney rods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sksmass

Dec 21, 2009
Western MA
I want to clean my new liner myself, but can only do it from the bottom up (I've got a tall, steep roof and slate shingles -- I'd just rather not get up there).

The "T" in the pipe is about 9.5" off the fireplace floor and is set back into the firebox about 13". (The bottle of tonic water is just in the picture for scale.) :cheese:

Will regular fiberglass rods bend enough for me to make that turn? Do any of you have a brand of rod you'd recommend?

Attachments

• brush.jpg
    brush.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 169
  • cleanout.jpg
    cleanout.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 178
I 've always done mine from the top. The cap is so important with these stoves. From your picture that looks almost impossible...the rods bend but that looks tough. But I would still try if that's your only option. I don't even know the name of my rods. I don't think it matters much about the brand of them, the brush matters most, right size, the pipe and all...IMHO.
md

check out soot eater, I use it, very flexible rods and it works bottom up.

No chimney cap here, we use fiberglass rods from Lowes that has a sharper bend (90°) than your illustration. If you get them I recommend using rubber gloves because after awhile the bent fiberglass produces micro fractures that can give you slivers...but they still work OK.

+1 those rods will crack thats a heck of a bend.

Status
Not open for further replies.