Need a small pellet stove for bedroom

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

They Call Me Pete

Burning Hunk
Nov 18, 2007
CT
The room is only 200 sq ft with a cathedral ceiling and fan. We have a space heater that we turn on about an hour before bed but would like to replace it next year with a stove.

I wanted to do the same thing..
I bought one and the manual says DO NOT PUT IN SLEEPING ROOMS...so it sits in my garage uninstalled.

Against code.......

Check your local Mechanical Building Code, many prohibit solid fuel-burning appliances in sleeping areas. Rick

I believe it's against code. If you need another stove Pete, let me know as I have an Englander just sitting around.

EDIT, I guess we all posted the same thing at the same time. :)

I would think any pellet stove would roast you out of the bedroom......

They Call Me Pete said:
The room is only 200 sq ft with a cathedral ceiling and fan. We have a space heater that we turn on about an hour before bed but would like to replace it next year with a stove.
Most pellet stoves are negative pressure meaning the combustion blower assures smoke and gasses go outside. In the event of a power failure there may not be enough draft to keep smoke and gasses from entering the room and could cause a big sleep.
Stick with the electric space heater they are clean and cost effective.

I would look carefully at the labels and manuals.....and not take the stove shop at their word.
There is little problem in terms of the heat, which can be turned down, but one only needs to read a couple of the posts here lately about pellet stoves burning back into the hopper, etc. to get the hint that a sleeping area may not be the best idea. In general, the same goes for most solid fuel and even no-vent and B-vent gas (not positive on the B-vent), and usually has to do with a number of factors including combustion air, clearances, etc.

I have seem local officials make some exceptions when bedrooms were not traditional bedrooms - very large rooms without doors easily being able to shut off, etc.

They Call Me Pete said:
Just talked to local stove shop
and they said it was ok but smallest stove did 1500 sq ft.

Your local stove shop is giving you bad information. The installation
manuals for every pellet stove I've ever seen specifically state
"caution: do not install in a sleeping room".

It's posts like this that send newbies in the wrong direction.

Either going to stick with space heater or go with Woodstocks Cottage Mini gas. Woodstock would cost around $1600 to set up. I know that heater doesn't use that much juice in a winter.

rayttt said:
I wanted to do the same thing..
I bought one and the manual says DO NOT PUT IN SLEEPING ROOMS...so it sits in my garage uninstalled.

Is it for sale?

Does the space hearter give you enough heat? If so and you only need it a night I'd think you'd be best off sticking with that.
If you do the math you may find that if you could find a nice stove for $ 1000 - That $ 1000 would probably keep your space heater running for a few years.
(and if you found a stove you'd still be buying pellets)

(Disclaimer - check my math)
Assuming you have an electric space heater...
Example a 1500 watt heater running 8 hrs a day 4 months a year = 960 hrs (8 x 120)
960 hrs x 1.5 KW/Hr = 1440 KWHrs
If you pay .15 /kwhr (about what I pay) then it would cost $ 216.00 yr to use the heater you have.
vs laying $ 1000 out now plus pellets - plus installation.

I'd like to put one in the basement for heat. It's about 1200 sq. ft. My office is in basement and with the recent cold temps, it would get down to lower 40's.

They Call Me Pete said:
Either going to stick with space heater or go with Woodstocks Cottage Mini gas. Woodstock would cost around $1600 to set up. I know that heater doesn't use that much juice in a winter.

$1600 for stove or just setup? The stove alone is around 2K.

IMO be more economical to just stick with the electric heater or electric blanket.

electric blanket is the most cost effective thing to use in a bedroom. You aren't wasting the energy to heat the entire 200 sf, you'll only be heating what needs to be heated: you! 200 watt blanket vs 1500 watt space heater is a no brainer.

plus a solid fueled appliance is against code everywhere.

Keep hearing not to put pellet stoves in sleeping areas but what is the difference between that and people with open floor plans that have bedrooms that open directly off the living room? They obviously leave the doors open for the heat.

pellet0708 said:
Keep hearing not to put pellet stoves in sleeping areas but what is the difference between that and people with open floor plans that have bedrooms that open directly off the living room? They obviously leave the doors open for the heat.

That is a whole different story. If you have it in the bedroom right next to you while you sleep and the power goes out your gonna be dead. If it goes out in the open floor plan but it is 30 feet away then you will be alive!!!

Orange Crush CJ-7 said:
electric blanket is the most cost effective thing to use in a bedroom. You aren't wasting the energy to heat the entire 200 sf, you'll only be heating what needs to be heated: you! 200 watt blanket vs 1500 watt space heater is a no brainer.

plus a solid fueled appliance is against code everywhere.

I was burned bad by a electric blanket when I was a kid and will NEVER have one again. I'm sticking with the space heater. It has 3 settings and runs on a t-stat so it's not really running all the time plus is only run at night . I run it at med which I think is 900W plus it's set at 64 which is perfect sleeping temp for me but it's the old lady who is always cold. I told her to sleep on the couch next to the stove :lol: .

Put in a nice little electric fireplace that makes crackly sounds. Or run a fireplace DVD on the 600watt plasma screen. %-P

Raven20 said:
I would think any pellet stove would roast you out of the bedroom......

Yep, stayed at an inn in Maine some years ago. The bedroom had a very small Jotul wood stove. It sure roasted us out! Too much heat for one room.

A small direct-vent gas stove will do the trick for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.