Need advice...heatilator Eco Choice WS18 heat 1500sq ft home?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pgrace245

Jul 20, 2011
Illnois
I have an oppotunity to purchase a floor model Heatilator Eco-Choice WS18 wood stove that is rated for 1900sq ft for $750. The problem is I noticed that the actual rating for this wood stove in my area is 1243sq ft (northern IL). My house consists of a 750sq ft basement, 750 sq ft main level (where stove would be) and a 750 sq ft upstairs where the bedrooms are. Would this stove work for my needs? I like my house nice and toasty as my Avalon insert made my old house. This is a big decision on my end and don't want to make the wrong choice. I was considering a Vermont Castings Encore stove thats more money but for a reason as the WS18 puts out 41K BTU's compared to 65K with the VC. The VC also allows for a 22" log compared to 18" for the WS18. By all means if the $750 could more than do the job then it will be an easy decision. I could sure use some advice on this one. Thanks in advance.

Don't expect the heat to travel downstairs. If the heat is on a 750 sq floor w/ a stove rated for that capacity expect it to be hot there. The heat to the upper level will be dependent upon the floor plan and how much will be allowed to travel upwards and into those rooms easily.

While I don't know your climate well, or your insulation values in your home, I'd say that should defiantly keep the main floor toasty and provide enough heat to keep the upstairs warm enough for bedrooms assuming you like them cooler. Remember though, this stove is only going to have an 8 hour burn time on low as per the brochure. My concern however is if you try for a longer burn time stove (read larger) that you'll overheat that main floor even on low.

I think more info on your home could help us here.

pen

Here are some photos of my house including the layout. The 2nd floor matches the layout of the first floor if that helps. Does it look like the WS18 could heat my first floor nice and hot and cool up stairs? Would the VC Encore heat both stories more comfortable? On the layout plan I the square by the 24 is the location of the wood stove. The square by the 36 is where my stairs are. The picture of the stairs are like my stairs but flipped flopped.

06-10-301-040_image.jpg

06-10-301-040_sketch.jpg

stairs06.jpg

pgrace245 said:
I have an oppotunity to purchase a floor model Heatilator Eco-Choice WS18 wood stove that is rated for 1900sq ft for $750. The problem is I noticed that the actual rating for this wood stove in my area is 1243sq ft (northern IL). My house consists of a 750sq ft basement, 750 sq ft main level (where stove would be) and a 750 sq ft upstairs where the bedrooms are. Would this stove work for my needs? I like my house nice and toasty as my Avalon insert made my old house. This is a big decision on my end and don't want to make the wrong choice. I was considering a Vermont Castings Encore stove thats more money but for a reason as the WS18 puts out 41K BTU's compared to 65K with the VC. The VC also allows for a 22" log compared to 18" for the WS18. By all means if the $750 could more than do the job then it will be an easy decision. I could sure use some advice on this one. Thanks in advance.

Neither the Heatilator, nor the Encore will make your entire house "nice and toasty". They will make areas of your house warm and maybe toasty depending upon draftiness.

But, you can not expect a 2.0 or 2.3 cu ft stove to heat three levels of your house totaling 2250 square feet of space and you can not expect heat to travel down stairs. Also, do not pay attention to the BTU ratings. Pay attention to firebox size.

If you are looking to heat your main floor and the upstairs, you might be able to get away with the WS18. Maybe.

You also need to define "nice and toasty". Is that 70°? 75°? 80°? Some like keeping the bedrooms cooler, others like warmer temps for sleeping, what do you prefer? If you truly like your two main floors to be really warm you should think about a larger stove like the WS22 which is a 2.7 cu ft stove.

The only way to get your basement warm would be to put another stove in there as well, or put a very large stove in your basement. But that doesn't work well for a lot of people and your basement would be uncomfortable if you hope to keep the other two levels warm.

I'm fine with temps between 70-75 on the main level (closer to 75 preferably) with upstair bedroom temps in the mid to upper 60's. I know too the fireplace wont heat the basement. My Avalon Pendleton was only rated to 600-1200sq ft and a 1.3? cubic foot firebox and heat my whole house. Suppose I could buy this stove as it fits my budget and see how it goes this year and if it doesnt work as I need I can replace. $750 is pretty cheap compared to $2600 for the VC Encore.

Status
Not open for further replies.