Need Advice on a Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Johnson

Mod Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005
Central NYS
We've solicited bids on a pellet stove installation for our office, and I'm just curious whether I can get some consensus on what's the best one to get from the following list:

Avalon Astoria
Quadrafire CB 1200 FS
St. Croix Afton Bay
St. Croix Hastings Cast Iron
Breckwell Big E
Breckwell P23
Hampton GC60

These range in price from $2,200 to $3,750, but I'm more concerned with getting something that's reliable and easily controlled and operated. If there's a standout among this group, that's probably the one I'm going to recommend.

Thanks in advance.

My 1ST choice would be Hampton GC60(same as the Enviro M55 cast = pretty stove!)

#2 Avalon Astoria or

#3 Quadrafire CB 1200 FS

#4 St. Croix Afton Bay

#1 Hampton GC -60.
#2 (tie) CB 1200 and Astoria. Look a lot alike. Only pro to Quad (less heat settings, easier for Wife or GF) Pro to Avalon larger hopper. Burn pots are different, but there efficiency seems about the same. Don2222 has one (Avalon) I am sure he will be along shortly.

Being a bias Quad owner I would still get the GC-60 (M-55) Heck of a stove and a "True Multi Fueler" to boot.

Anyone going to be at the office to fill the hopper on long weekends?

You might want to have the required hopper capacity to keep the stove going.

Eric Johnson said:
We've solicited bids on a pellet stove installation for our office, and I'm just curious whether I can get some consensus on what's the best one to get from the following list:

Avalon Astoria
Quadrafire CB 1200 FS
St. Croix Afton Bay
Breckwell Big E
Breckwell P23
Hampton GC60

These range in price from $2,200 to $3,750, but I'm more concerned with getting something that's reliable and easily controlled and operated. If there's a standout among this group, that's probably the one I'm going to recommend.

Thanks in advance.

My first choice would be the St Croix's, Second choice would be the Avalon. I don't like the Breckwells, read the Breckwell owners manual and see what it says about running the stove on high. I wouldn't touch a stove made in china. A Canadian made stove would be way down my list.

Just my .02

Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.