Need advice on through the ceiling installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, no pics. So i have a basement installation scheduled, through a suspended ceiling and out above the sill plate between the joists. I hate these type of installs, but I cannot do it any other way. I cannot core through the cement either. Anyone? As it stands now, I'm going to have to leave the ceiling panels off for inspection. How do you do these, any tricks I'm not aware of??

Does this mean cutting a hole large enough for the thimble through the rim joist?

I'd start by making sure the ceiling tiles in the immediate area of the vent pipe are fire rated. Refrain from notching or drilling large holes through any of the floor joists. I'd also consider lining the ceiling bay (floor joists and subfloor) with cement board. Just my $0.02

What's the problem coring through the cement?

It is going to require 4" exhaust pipe, so that is a big hole through the rim joist. I would back the rim joist with 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood cut with the same size hole needed for the thimble. RTV all joints and tape them before stuffing in the ceiling. Use one of those "L" shaped double levels with the rubber band that they make for basketball poles to get the vertical exhaust pipe plumb. Have the horizontal pipe taper up a little bit. Secure the vertical exhaust with a clamp right behind the stove to to steady the exhaust. Bring a helper and a flashlight. good luck!

Well, it has been a few days how did you make out?

Ah, yes...well, it got rescheduled for next Tuesday. He got in a panic because he never pulled a permit for the finished basement and when I said I was going to pull a permit he got all pale faced thinking he was going to get fined by the Town....so he is pulling a permit for the basement and we are including the stove on that.

What I dislike about these installs is that there is no room for clearances. I'm going to durock the cavity between the joists and reframe the suspended ceiling so the thimble looks finished and will not "sag" the panel over time. Fortuneately I'm going with the joists so there is no rim joist to bore through. It will be difficult no doubt. I'll take some pics as I go.

smwilliamson said:
Fortuneately I'm going with the joists so there is no rim joist to bore through. It will be difficult no doubt. I'll take some pics as I go.

No rim joist??? Other than the exterior sheathing, there must be something tying the joist ends together. Tell me the builder didn't use 2 x8 or 2x 10 blocking at the exterior ends between joists.

Status
Not open for further replies.