Need Advice on used Mt Vernon AE quad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

profitone

Jul 22, 2008
CT
Im a pellet newbie with a 2100 sq ft colonial in eastern CT-- I am looking for a pellet insert-- and based on my 7 days of pellet knowledge- Im looking at a Harman or a Quadrafire.. I located a one year old My Vernon AE insert for $2800 and have quickly realized that once I buy it from the original owner the "limited" warranty will be gone, and no dealer in my service area will even work on it if I pay them! I have contacted the owner who told me it had control board issues initally but now is in ready to go condition... In anyones experience-- what other issues can I expect to happen that I will have to diagnose? I am somewhat technically savvy- but I really dont want to be spending a grand to repair a year old stove that I couldve gotten new for that initial layout...

Any advice? I think its a good price-- but theres obviously more to it than that...Thanks in advance for helping me come to my senses...

Don't do it. And I don't have to list the reasons. You did a good job of listing them in your post.

I agree, don't do it. I have had multiple problems with my AE and the only reason I have kept it is because of the outstanding service I have received from my dealer and Quad. The stove is great and I believe all of the bugs have been worked out but it is not worth the risk in your situation. I believe just a control board goes for over $500.00. Find a reputable dealer and purchase a new one. I was even able (through my dealer) to get an extended 5 year warranty for $299.00.

Thanks- I just put a deposit on a Harmon insert for end of Dec install- They said they had 2 left (available to order) Feel much better about it.... Hope it comes through as promised...

Status
Not open for further replies.