Need Advise on Heat Exchanger Cleaning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LIpelletpig

Feeling the Heat
Jun 26, 2008
Long Island, NY
I was wondering how often I should be cleaning the heat exchangers? I have a Harman Accentra Insert and I'm burning a bag of Country Boy Oak Pellets per day. It is a little bit of work to access the exchangers on the insert but not to bad. I know after cleaning them I do see a higher output of hot air through the system. What do the rest of you do? any advise? Thanks

I clean ours twice, midseason and end of year, as part of a major cleaning.

I clean the heat exchangers on my Accentra Insert after every ton of pellets burned. For me this is about once per month. It takes about 20 mins. It does make a noticable difference in heat output.

I don't have a harman but imo it makes no difference
which make/model stove one has - burning 24/7 you
will get the best possible performance from a clean stove.
At least once a month is good, more is better. Many
people shut down and clean the heat tubes weekly.

Anybody know where the exchangers are on englanders? There aren't any exposed tubes to clean. Manuals say nothing about cleaning them.

Status
Not open for further replies.