Need hard brake lines?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
I figured I'd share this because it was a miracle that I found it. My BIL is away at school and his only vehicle is a beat up hand-me-down 2001 Chevy 1/2 ton with 200K on the clock that was my FIL's work truck. In the early 2000s Chevy had a bad underbody rust problem and as a result the hard brake lines rusted out. His truck has two bad lines and more that are about to go and the local brake and tire place told him that a repair job would be $1000 plus. He called me freaking out because blue book on the truck is maybe $2000 with the mileage and the body damage on it and he doesn't have the cash anyway-meanwhile he now has no way to get to his job on the weekends. Of course I told him that I would help him take the old lines out, bend and flare the new ones, etc...but I was dreading it since it's such a huge amount of work. I called one of the largest GM parts centers on the East Coast today and even they couldn't help me find pre-bent lines for a truck that's not even 10 years old. They said that basically once a vehicle gets past 5 years they stop stocking things like brake lines, fuel lines, etc... After Googling I found this place:

http://www.classictube.com

Their whole business is hard tubing (brake, fuel, hydraulic, etc...) and they stock kits for practically any application you can think of. I ordered a complete set of hard lines, pre-bent, pre-flared, with fittings ALL STAINLESS STEEL for $180!!! Just figured I'd pass it along in case any of your wood haulers spring a leak in the brake department ;)

Badfish, as PapaDave said, Kudos for the great find. Stainless steel is the best replacement brake line for all those who drive in the northern tier of states. John_M

Not for my wood hauler. :mad: I buy the pre-flared lengths from my parts guy. I bought a double flare kit a few years ago, but haven't used it yet.

Good find for sure. Get yourself a few cans of penetrating oil for all the nuts and do a presoak for a day or two before you start in earnest.

Save all your receipts, the NHTSA is investigating the incident rate of hard brake line failure in the Chevy/GMC trucks from 99-?? NBS body style. A recall or TSB may be issued at some point and you may have the option of filing for reimbursement. I paid $700+ to have my back brakes redone about a year ago after the line ruptured on me in a panic stop. Planning on doing the fronts in the spring.

Flatbedford said:
Not for my wood hauler. :mad: I buy the pre-flared lengths from my parts guy. I bought a double flare kit a few years ago, but haven't used it yet.

Haha...I like my brother-in-law, but not enough to bend every line by hand! ;)

What I meant to say is not available from classic tube for my wood hauler. I don't make my own because I want to.

Badfish740 said:
They said that basically once a vehicle gets past 5 years they stop stocking things like brake lines, fuel lines, etc...

Seriously? Few cars even need items like those replaced before they are 5 years old unless seriously abused.

Status
Not open for further replies.