Need help filling hole where stove pipe enters chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albertj03

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2009
Southern Maine
This morning I pulled my stove pipe out of the chimney to take a look in the pipe. There was some creosote in there but it wasn't built up too bad. Maybe an 1/8 of inch thick. The problem was when I went to pull the stove pipe out the entire silver collar came right out of the chimney and some of the mortor broke away creating a nice gap as you can see in the pics below. What should I use the fill the gap with and can I get it at Lowes or Home Depot? Should I worry about that silver collar coming right out of the chimney? It seems to have gone back in as far as it was before.

d6307f2f.jpg
0d3b305a.jpg

I'd patch it with some stove/furnace cement for now. But this summer, maybe remove the silver (galvanized?) pipe and mortar in a tile flue thimble if this is connecting to a tile liner.

BeGreen said:
I'd patch it with some stove/furnace cement for now. But this summer, maybe remove the silver (galvanized?) pipe and mortar in a tile flue thimble if this is connecting to a tile liner.

I couldn't find any furnace cement so I just got some pre-mixed mortar and filled it in. I think I will take your advice and fix it the right way with a tile flue thimble in the summer. Here is the after pic, I got a little carried away and went all around it.

f7b15ac6.gif

Nice clean quick repair! I would just give it some time to cure. Luckily it was a small crack and should cure quick.

hareball said:
Nice clean quick repair! I would just give it some time to cure. Luckily it was a small crack and should cure quick.

Thanks! Luckily it's been in the 40's all day so I'll just give it till tomorrow morning before firing up the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.