Need help Summers Heat Large Madison VS NC-30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kiletravis09

Jan 21, 2015
woodstock ohio
Ok guys. I have done a bit of research and it's came down to two stoves.

NC-30

Summers heat 50-shssw02

I was actually minutes away from pulling the trigger on the NC-30 until I happend upon the big summers heat stove which is relatively new. So after some research I think I'm leaning heavily toward the summers heat. I compared cubic ft space in the stove and just from looking at the fire box brick diagrams I got 1.9 cubic ft for the NC-30 and 2.8 cubic ft for the summers heat. Again this is just off of the brick diagrams and doing my own math. I know the NC-30 is know for something over 3 cubic ft of space in the box. Does anyone know if the summers heat is actually larger than the NC-30? My math says there is more cubic ft of brick space in the summers heat. By the way I'm currently heating my house with a little Nashua wood stove. It does fine but it blows through wood like no other. I have a 6in lined chimney that's about 30ft tall. I'm heating about 1800 sq ft of space. It's a 2200sq ft 2 story house but we only heat the down stairs. We had new insulation installed last summer in both the walls and attic. Like I said before I'm really leaning toward the new large summers heat stove over the NC-30. It's just the NC-30 has such a proven track record. Is this new stove better? If anyone who owns either or both of these stoves could help point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!!!

both stoves are made by englander stoves and are decent stoves for the cost. i currently have the smaller model (Model # 50-SHSSW01) i believe the hearth requirements for the Madison (Model # 50-SHSSW01 / 50-SHSSW02) are both only ember protection while the NC-30 requires a more substantial R rating.

Reactions: bcrtops
I like the looks of the NC 30 much better. The stove can take pretty long splits straight in. You will be happy with either model. The 30 sits much lower to the hearth if that is an issue.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

The SHSSW stoves have a huge pane of glass on the front and decent ash pan system. I love my Madison (smaller version).

I have both stoves ,in fact i have 2 NC-30s one of which ill be selling. I got the SH -50 pretty much for the view alone and the fact that i like a stove that sits high and i dont have to put it up on 2 rows of blocks just to enjoy the fire show. THe 50 is replacing the 30 in the living room and the 30 will be relegated to basement duty. The 50 is so much more attractive stove than its older uglier brother the 30 IMO. As far as performance i got the 50 just recently and have only had a few fires in it and it performs well. Plus is has the auto setback feature which may come in handy. Ill be using it extensively this coming season and the 30 only occasionally when the basement gets too cold.