Need Help w/ Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rshanno1

Aug 20, 2011
Central Ia
Picked up this wood yesterday and was told it was oak but when splitting, it was apparent it was not. There is no bark or leaves, standing and downed deadwood in good condition. I'm new to this and appreciate your assistance. Thanks!

Attachments

• Woodpile.jpg
    Woodpile.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 320
Welcome to the site, lots of information and good people. What you have in the picture looks like Elm. I just cut some today that was standing dead and barkless. I think it burns well, especially when its like that.

My first thought is also elm.

+3

I've cut a few standing dead Elm trees that looked just like that and burned very well. They didn't have any bark on them at all and I thought they were dead poplar trees at first becuase there are a lot of them around here. The second time I passed by one of them I noticed there didn't seem to be any rot on the tree at all so I figured it couldn't be poplar since all the dead poplars are rotted and hit heavily by wood peckers. Went and checked the other one and it was the same so I cut them both down and knew they were elm when I had a hell of a time splitting them. Was worth it though, nothing like finding two perfectly dry elm trees in September and burning them that winter. Would love to find more for this year!

Smooth bark looks like Pin Oak... Just picked some up today. Can see some difference in color in your splits. Is the center of the Wood darker in colo???
Will post some pics...... Pics to follow in a New Thread. Uploading from Camera now..

+1 .....all those stringy splits = elm.

First thought in looking at the pic without even reading the thread was elm . . . but I did have some red oak that was a bit stringy . . . split easy though . . . elm may or may not split easy . . . depends on how dry it was . . .

Looks like Elm to me. How hard was it to split?

Elm burns real slow. Good find :)

Thanks for the help. I was guessing elm based on past experience. As for splitting, after several years splitting by hand, everything seems easy with the Huskee!

Status
Not open for further replies.