Need help with an ID(with pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
Guy at work had a limb fall down in the yard and brought me in the wood. It's only a few chunks but in a few weeks he wants me to come by and help him take the tree down. I keep asking him for leaves but he keeps forgetting so this is the best I've got. Either way I'll take the wood since it'll fill a purpose regardless of what it is.

It's limb wood so I'm not sure if the trunk wood appears much different or not. It's seems to be pretty dense stuff, my nail can't mark it up like it can with soft maple/softer woods, growth rings seem fairly tight and it seems pretty dry.

It's a street tree/yard tree, he says it has no fruit, nuts and doesn't think he's ever seen it flower. The closest thing I can come up with would be thornless honey locust but it could be me wanting to make this into something better than it is. :)

Any ideas?

Attachments

• P6130008 (Large).jpg
    P6130008 (Large).jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 388
  • P6130009 (Large).jpg
    P6130009 (Large).jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 393
  • P6130010 (Large).jpg
    P6130010 (Large).jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 389
  • P6130011 (Large).jpg
    P6130011 (Large).jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 402
  • P6130012 (Large).jpg
    P6130012 (Large).jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 394
I think you got it rdust - that looks like thornless Honey Locust. The fact that it was a street tree makes the ID even more likely, since thornless Honey Locust is one of the more popular street trees.

Wood Duck said:
I think you got it rdust - that looks like thornless Honey Locust. The fact that it was a street tree makes the ID even more likely, since thornless Honey Locust is one of the more popular street trees.

+1 That is some Hardwood there!

The bark on my Honey Locust is muck thicker and has a cork appearance so I do wonder what that wood is.. Looks like good firewood at any rate especially since you said it was heavy and very hard..

Ray

My guess, and it is just a guess, would be some kind of Cherry. It looks like it has those little horizontal lines on the bark...

Honey Locust no question.One of the best woods there is.No difference in weight,hardness,color,grain pattern etc between thornless hybrids & ones with thorns found in the wild.

That bark matches pretty close to a couple sunburst honey locusts I have in my yard - yes it's a thornless variety. Great firewood, get all you can. Splits easy, has a bit more moisture content than black locust so give it a year to season.

Thay looks like some sort of Cherry to me, this is what my Locust looks like. :zip:

By the way what kind is it?

Attachments

• SDC10247.jpg
    SDC10247.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 293
cptoneleg said:
Thay looks like some sort of Cherry to me, this is what my Locust looks like. :zip:

That looks like black?

cptoneleg said:

Thats Black Locust. The OP has Honey locust.

+2 on honeylocust just c/s/s 1.5 cords bark is the same. Sorry don't have a close up can get one if you want

Attachments

• Baby Robins 012 (640x427).jpg
    Baby Robins 012 (640x427).jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 212
  • Baby Robins 011 (640x427).jpg
    Baby Robins 011 (640x427).jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 224
  • GEDC2275 (640x480).jpg
    GEDC2275 (640x480).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 196
  • GEDC2276 (640x480).jpg
    GEDC2276 (640x480).jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 197
Thanks guys! Looks like I'll have some good cold weather wood in a couple years. Last couple seasons it was Shagbark, slotted for this season will be Shagbark, Black Locust and White Oak. I always like having a cord of the "good" stuff set aside for the coldest days. :)

Here is a close up of the honey

Attachments

• locust split.jpg
    locust split.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 166
Status
Not open for further replies.