Need help with Mt-Vernon insert control board Srv7000-456 Rev-C

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

evil

Nov 24, 2008
Ontario, where it's cold
Hey guy's! Imagine my surprise when I had the smell of burnt plastic coming from my stove. Turns out the line in harness connector melted to the board some. The leads that are in the board delaminated some. It seems to lead to a relay then through the igniter harness then back to the neutral part of the said problem connector. My question is, I can repair the board lead and harness connector but would it be safe? The igniter is new as late last season. This is a really expensive board going for 600 to 800$ ( Really Quad? ) and I don't want to replace this without need if I can. Thanks!

Attachments

• p_00055.jpg
    p_00055.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 458
You likely can safely repair that board (depends on things I can't currently see), but you must find out why the fault happened.

It looks like arcing was going on in the socket (plug), you should replace that socket(plug) and make certain there is a good connection between it and the plug(socket) that goes into it.

Your igniter melted and shorted out causing the damage.

Thanks for the fast reply guy's. I am quite capable to repair the board though I must find a suitable replacement connector ( male & female). I was looking around the net and was only able to find at the board at the 550$ range. Where would you find this item for 400? I was planning my next move to get to the igniter, if it's gone so soon I'll be a little pissed but what can you do?

I have had a chance to take out the igniter last night. It seems to be ok. I'll have to check it with the multimeter. I am still looking for a suitable replacementfor the board parts. T'll then I'm back on the dino juice.

$600-800 is a little high for a control board IMO. Since there is really no "suggested retail" on this the dealer is free to charge what they want, some people just value their items more than others. I retail those to my customers if they ever need to buy one (which they never have) between 500 and 550. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try the repair and see where it goes, can't really do much more damage! Especially if your out of warranty.

Repaired the board and replaced the connector. Wasn't fun at all. I must say I have seen better quality boards out there such as the one I was stripping the replacement parts out of ( old JVC CD player ). Verdict, all is well. Fired up with no problems. Come to find out since I was in there I had a leak in my vent pipe. Called the dealer and he had no replacement gasket on had but a used one and he gave it to me for no charge on a long weekend to boot. Now the beer time she comes. Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.