Need help with old insert change out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quint

Oct 3, 2011
Bremerton, WA
Hello all, just found this forum and am hoping to find some info on my current situation. I bought a house a little over a year ago (1974 split level about 1600 sqft). Ive got a older quadrafire 1000 downstairs that does really good for keeping that place warm.

The question I am looking into is I have a old insert upstairs. From what I can tell it is a MHSC SB38 or similar type setup. The piping is 11CF (thats what it says on the side). I would like to replace this with either a wood burning insert (the type with a fan and what not) or make the current insert area into a alcove of sorts and put a small free standing wood stove in there.

From what I gather I will have to replace the piping no matter which route I go correct me if I am wrong. Unless I go with a pellet stove insert which may or may not be able to use the current piping.

Going with a alcove type setup would require a major overall. From your guys's experience how much of a pain is this in all actuallity if I am replacing the piping anyways. I am ok at tearing stuff apart and rebuilding things, not the best but I do all my own remodeling. Just never played with fireplaces before.

Thanks for any input on this subject.

Attachments

• fireplace2.jpg
    fireplace2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 248
  • resized fp1.jpg
    resized fp1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 242
Welcome quint. That would be a zero-clearance fireplace, not an insert. An insert would go into this fireplace with a full stainless steel liner if that was the plan. Are you thinking another pellet stove or a wood burner?

Thanks Begreen, I am leaning toward a wood burner but a pellet stove is not completely out of the question but would prefer a wood burner.

A tear out is work, but certainly possible. We have seen several done this year. It looks like you are already heading down that path. If you want to use this as an alcove the main thing will be to watch clearances. A convective stove with good side and rear shielding will generally work best for that type of installation. There are several models on the market. Or it could be replaced with a modern and efficient EPA zero-clearance fireplace.

Did not really look at the zero clearance fireplace. May be something to look into as well. I am still learning all this stuff. Have not had any wood stoves since living with parents and that was 18 or so years ago.

I did not find any threads on the tear out process. Would any of you guys happen to know of any. I searched but am not sure if I am doing the correct terms.

So all in all its going to be a matter of how much work I want to do correct, also does the modern efficient zero clearance fireplaces need updated chimney piping or could they use what I already have installed?

Almost for certain a modern system is going to need chimney replacement. I'll take a look for some zero clearance replacements, but they may be harder to find because they often started out like this posting with different objectives. You might also try starting a new thread on the subject with the topic being Zero Clearance replacement.

I was able to drop a 6" ss liner inside of the original 8" pre fab chimney, and install an insert inside of the zc fireplace. Just poured some insulation a couple of Weeks ago. only problem was that my insert size was limited by the fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.