Need help with stove operation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beetlejuice

Nov 25, 2010
hershey pa
I have a 2 year old Blaze-king Princess. The wood I am burning ths year has been split and stacked for almost 18 months and is mainly locust. The moisture meter reads anywhere from 20-23%. My issue is that after I have a huge bed of hot coals, I open the air control fully and keep the cat lever, or maybe this is called the flue, open and add new wood. As soon as the new wood is burning I close the flue or cat control lever the fire goes completely out with in a minute or two. This is the case on every load of wood. Sometimes I just let it smolder and try to get the fire going again by repeating the above steps but I run into the same issue. Is it possible that my air intake on the front of my stove is clogged or something. I have researched almost every thread here but can't seem to find a resolution to this problem. I could understand if the wood was wet but I cut, split, stacked and used a moisture meter myself on the wood, please help.

Also, I have only three controls for this stove. I have an air control that is supposed to control the air flow, a main lever on the side of the stove that engages the cat and a blower control. As of now I am not using the blower or fans. The cat engage lever is working because it seems to effect the air inside the stove because when I close or engae this lever the fire goes out. The air control also seems to be working because I can see an immediate effect when I adjust this when the fire is burning for the minute or two I have one.

Welcome to Hearth.com I know on my stove on reloads i let it burn fifteen mins or more before engaging the cat. You might see about moving this to the hearth room and you'll get a slew of suggestions.

There is alot of talk on the Hearth forum about Blaze Kings. Supposedly they will burn for hours upon hours, but often with little or no flame. Best to check over there. Some people love them, some claim they make alot of creosote. I have an EPA stove Jotul Rockland and typically I do not even have to open up my air control to get the wood burning if I have a nice bed of coals. If I am just starting a fire I start it open and wait about 10 minutes before I start lowering the air, and after about 20 minutes I can shut it the whole way down.

Status
Not open for further replies.