Need help with wood burning fireplace choices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianathome

Apr 1, 2010
Western WA.
We are building out our daylight basement and want to install a wood burning fireplace. Our house was built in 1992 with a double flu brick chimney(we have a gas fireplace upstairs). We really like the idea of having a wood fire going downstairs that will rise up to heat our whole house. Originally we purchase an Opel3 from RSF from a local stove dealer. After 2 attempts to install they walked away. Problem is our flu-it starts out at a tile lined 8" round but then quickly changes to a 10"x6" rectangle so the liner wouldn't fit. Had another company try a Lennox Montecito (6" pipe)-still the same problem. Couple of more details-there is an in foundation cement alcove that measures 75"Hx44"Wx24 1/2"D with the flu in the back right corner-it travels straight up till it gets to the first floor, than bends around our 1st floor gas fireplace before exiting out our second floor. I was told that the original owner probably had intended to put in a wood stove. Unfortunately for me, my wife hates the look of wood stoves...:( So am now talking to masons and confused by the choices. Liked the idea of a heatilator-it wouldn't fit. Isokern or Russian fireplace looked interesting, but our chimney is on an outside wall so we would loose half of the effectiveness. One mason said he could build a regular fireplace and put a wrap/sheild behind it to reflect heat-but that would only get me 30% efficiency. So now looking at a Bellfire-looks like the best combination of looks(natural wood burning fireplace) and heating. Problem is the cost-was quoted $11,275 and that was just for the Bellfire BR 28 unit, cinder-block surround and hearth. Didn't include stone veneer or mantle, so my total cost was just shy of 15K. So more than double my original budget-which might be worth it if I was convinced the Bellfire would work, but am having a hard time getting references. Any testimonials as to their heating efficiency, or maybe an alternative solution would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for recommending the option with the Opel 3, but already went down that path. The store that I purchased the Opel 3 had their "expert" look at my fireplace and he said knocking out the tiles would be iffy, and wouldn't recommend it. They couldn't guarentee it would work. Got the same opinion from a mason.

brianathome said:
Thanks for recommending the option with the Opel 3, but already went down that path. The store that I purchased the Opel 3 had their "expert" look at my fireplace and he said knocking out the tiles would be iffy, and wouldn't recommend it. They couldn't guarentee it would work. Got the same opinion from a mason.

Did the so called expert tell you why it would not work. I have done this type of installs and never had a problem,

Status
Not open for further replies.