Need Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drellvis

Sep 24, 2011
Northern NJ
I am considering the enviro M55 FPI, I have a masonry fireplace, 3400 sf new home, open floor plan with duct system that I can run the fan to circulate the heat from the M55. First will it heat my house, or is there a bigger btu insert on the market. I was also considering the Pacific Energy Summit insert, but think I want to go with the pellets. If the M55 can't heat my house, I could close some registers in rooms we don't use much. Also was considering a small lp gas fireplace in the master bedroom, wife would really like one, and it would help with the heat load. All thoughts would be appreciated.

Do you know what the heat loss calculation came up with when your heating system was sized?

You are 900 square feet over what Enviro says is the maximum heatable space. What a stove or any heating device can handle depends upon the building it is in. Every building is different.

There are more powerful units than the M55 out there and if your house has ductwork for say a forced air system then perhaps a hot air pellet furnace would be ideal.

Yep. What Smokey said. If your trying to heat that much space. And your willing to come out of pocket over $5,000 (stove, surround, liner, install?) Then a Pellet/Bio-Mass furnace is the way to go. Then just duct it into your existing HVAC.

That seems like a more viable option. IMHO. You said you could close off some rooms? How many and how many sq ft would you truly be heating?

Status
Not open for further replies.