Need ideas for building a hearth for a pellet insert in the basement.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamztoyz

Oct 27, 2008
Western New York
Hi,

I currently have a pellet insert in use in my first floor. I bought a used Lopi Pioneer insert and plan to install it in the basement. There is a masonary fireplace where the previous owners burned wood. However, when they built the fireplace they never put a real hearth down and what is there is a lip so it is not enought to extend out the 9 1/2 inches I need for the stove plus the other 7-8 inches for combustibles. . I have the basement carpeted which you can hopefully see in the picture. The one stove place I went to told me he would build a steel support, which seemed odd. Any ideas and what about the carpet? Could I just use 2x4's to build a frame 17 inches out and about 3-4 feet wide and then use cement board and tile it? Or could I do the same except not tile and buy a cement hearth and lay it on top? Should I chip away the old lip because that isn't going to do me any good? Also what about the carpet, do I have to cut it back or could I just build on top of it? Can you cover wood with cement board and it not be considered combustible after being covered? I know those are a lot of questions, but I want to get started on this asap so I can heat the finished part of the basement. I don't need the fanciest but not the worst looking thing either. I would like to keep it simple. Thanks!

Attachments

• mc 100.jpg
    mc 100.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 201
If you build a wood frame for the hearth, being in a basement, I would use pressure treated lumber. Mine isn't in the basement, but I built my hearth out of unistrut, fireboard, and ceramic tile. Cost me about $36. If I'm picturing the lip right, you could build the frame to sit right on it.

Your install manual should tell you how your hearth has to be rated.
That will tell you how to build it. Being that it's an insert, it may need
some thermal resistance (T-R), at least directly underneath the firebox.
If there's no T-R requirement, I'd build it outta framing lumber & cut the
carpet out of the way. You may have tack strips close to the wall & they
will affect the way your hearth riser sits on the floor...Add cement board
for tile( or stone) adhesion & I'd run THAT all the way into the firebox,
completely taking your hearth out of the picture...
Tile or stone on top & stained pine trim all around & it'll look nice...

Status
Not open for further replies.