Need opinion on stove placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goathead

Jan 17, 2009
Northern CT
So, to make a long story short over a few years of experimenting I came to the realization that I was asking too much of my original stove so I decided to purchase another and I'm trying to figure out which will make more sense to put where. I'm thinking of putting the larger stove in the basement and relocating the smaller stove upstairs. My thought is that it would be a more natural airflow for the heat coming up the stairs down the hall in the bedroom rather than asking the upstairs stove to make a few 90-degree turns up the hall. I made a rough floor plan that is way not to scale :) but I think it's a decent representation of the layout. The gray boxes represent the open stairwell and the stars are the location of the fireplaces with the stoves. Any thought and advice is very much appreciated!

Size to heat: roughly 1800 sq ft
Stoves: Quadrafire Castille insert (34k btu) Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 (47k btu)
Floor plan: L-shaped ranch, finished basement, stairway completely open to upstairs

floorplan.gif

looks good the way you have it layed out. The only thing that i would add is one or two cast 14"x14" grates in the floor in the dinnig room or kitchen to allow the cold air on the floor cycle back to the basement and allow hot air to rise up the stairs

skinanbones said:
looks good the way you have it layed out. The only thing that i would add is one or two cast 14"x14" grates in the floor in the dinnig room or kitchen to allow the cold air on the floor cycle back to the basement and allow hot air to rise up the stairs

So...guess what I forgot to list in the picture? :) I have a register just to the left of the upstairs fireplace to help with the convection although I get a lot of air movement in the stairwell. I have a small fan mounted at the bottom of the stairs in the basement pushing the air up and you can feel the cool air rushing down over the stairs so I know I have some decent air travel.

The CB 1200 is a beast. Heats my 2,100 sq ft with no problem. Running 24/7 in Low heat, heats the entire house to 75. Congrats

Status
Not open for further replies.