Need some advice on repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thesmackdown

Jan 18, 2011
Western Wisco
Sooooo....about eight months ago we bought a house with a Monarch Add-a-Furnace. It is a mid-1970s vintage and is showing signs of wear. I plan on replacing it this summer with something more efficient.

It's my fire time heating with wood as an adult. I have learned a lot in the winter months so far. I have run into one problem however.

I think I was way overheating the furnace and burned a hole in the baffle. It might have just been from age too.

So, the questions I have are:

1. What is the purpose of that baffle.
2. How can I repair it to get me through the next few months (I found a replacement casting, but it's $100 and I have to remove all the cast plates which could turn out to be a can of worms)
3. It maybe coincidence but I am not getting a very long burn out of the furnace - last night for instance I loaded it full at 10:30 and was up at 2:30 with the fire being out and only a few coals not enough to restart. I did have the air supply on it's lowest setting.

Any answer would be appreciated

Attachments

• HPIM0939.jpg
    HPIM0939.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 241
  • HPIM0941.jpg
    HPIM0941.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 236
The baffle is to turbulate the fire, to mix in air for better combustion. If you are just trying to limp through the season, I'd screw on a metal plate patch to cover the hole. Before attaching, butter the back of it with furnace cement.

If possible, a stovepipe damper would slow things down a bit. "Bout $10.00 at a hardware store.

Your short burns are a sure sign of an overdraft. The suggestion for a flue damper is a good idea. More than likely from years of use and having too much draft caused your burnout. There are quite a few efficient furnaces on the market now if thats what you go with.

laynes69 said:
Your short burns are a sure sign of an overdraft. The suggestion for a flue damper is a good idea. More than likely from years of use and having too much draft caused your burnout. There are quite a few efficient furnaces on the market now if thats what you go with.

How do I know how much to close the stovepipe damper?

Status
Not open for further replies.