Need some Basic info

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dolores57

Nov 19, 2005
I have a fireplace that I believe is called a 0 clearance. Purchased from Home depot,metal lined with firebrick. Am I right is that what this useless thing is called? I need to know can I put a woodburning fireplace insert in this? I would imagine the fire box is going to be too small for most inserts?? The exsisting pipe is 8" and I am under the impression that I will need to reline with 6" stainless. Please bring me up to speed so I can start heating with wood. thankyou dolores

Dolores, you are correct.

I am assuming that your existing zero-clearance, pre-fab fireplace was designed for burning wood. You may have a tough time finding an insert that fits into your existing zero-clearance, pre-fab fireplace. Perhapos others can recommed a small insert. As you mentioned, you will also need to most likely replace the flu with a 6" one.

Have you considered taking the whole pre-fab unit out and replacing it with something like the Lennox Brentwood?

Take care.

Thankyou so much for your reply. So I am on the right track. At least so far. I have been talking with another fellow Warren on the forum who bought a Osburn that fits in my fireplace. He seems to be having really good luck heating his house with it so far. There is nothing like hearing some first hand experience . I am checking them out and the price sure is good. So anyway I have moved up from being dumb as a post to just mildly stupid when it comes to understanding all this fireplace/wood burning stove stuff........thank god for this forum d

Status
Not open for further replies.