Need some expert advice..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tcskibike

May 19, 2008
Vermont
Hi all,

I am new to this forum so please be patient of this question seems now well informed.. Well I started taking down some walls in my house and my best friend said get rid of that ugly fireplace insert and faux brick hearth.. Well I took it out and I am left with this.

The center pipe was connected to a fireplace insert.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/tcskibike/Snow hawk/fireplace002.jpg

This is a pic of the cross section, there is no insulation between the inner and outer pipe.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/tcskibike/Snow hawk/fireplace001.jpg

My question is: Can I reuse the existing stove pipe (pictured in the center) for a wood stove ? T

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
TonyC

Likely not. You removed a zero clearance fireplace, correct? If so that pipe it is very likely that it's only tested to 1700 degrees and not suitable for use with a wood stove that requires 2100 degree chimney. Unless you can confirm it's listing then I wouldn't use it with a wood stove. Look for a tag or stamp on the chimney or get the tag from the fireplace and contact the company to inquire what chimney was used with the fireplace.

Shane said:
Likely not. You removed a zero clearance fireplace, correct? If so that pipe it is very likely that it's only tested to 1700 degrees and not suitable for use with a wood stove that requires 2100 degree chimney. Unless you can confirm it's listing then I wouldn't use it with a wood stove. Look for a tag or stamp on the chimney or get the tag from the fireplace and contact the company to inquire what chimney was used with the fireplace.

Thank you so much!

Is that a classA pipe to the right? You might want to double affirm that it has good clearance (at least 2") from any combustibles.

BeGreen said:
Is that a classA pipe to the right? You might want to double affirm that it has good clearance (at least 2") from any combustibles.

Not sure if its class A but I know its Metalbestos for my oil burner.

Status
Not open for further replies.