Need suggestions for a wired prog T-Stat for my M55......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
.....swing temp setting???? All I have to work with is Home Depot and Lowes plus Ace Hardware. I don't think I have ever seen a T-Stat package that referenced a Pellet stove application, so I am curious as to how to pick.... We only have 3 local Stove stores and they all just have cheap wired units. Thanks, Bill

bostonfan49 said:
.....swing temp setting???? All I have to work with is Home Depot and Lowes plus Ace Hardware. I don't think I have ever seen a T-Stat package that referenced a Pellet stove application, so I am curious as to how to pick.... We only have 3 local Stove stores and they all just have cheap wired units. Thanks, Bill

Swing is just another word for differential. What happens is the stat calls for heat a bit past the set point and then shuts off, then it doesn't call for heat again until the temperature goes below the set point. This is the swing, some hard wired stats also operate this way. You just have to do your homework.

And as a little head start with your homework some general rules of thumb are that Honeywell as a rule does not have a swing setting on any of their thermostats and Lux generally does. That covers Lowes. HD has Honeywell and another brand that I am not familiar with. I find you have to go download the pdf manuals from the company's web site to see for sure if they have it - it will be mentioned in the manual but not necessarily in the features list. Lux seems pretty popular.

DonD said:
And as a little head start with your homework some general rules of thumb are that Honeywell as a rule does not have a swing setting on any of their thermostats and Lux generally does. That covers Lowes. HD has Honeywell and another brand that I am not familiar with. I find you have to go download the pdf manuals from the company's web site to see for sure if they have it - it will be mentioned in the manual but not necessarily in the features list. Lux seems pretty popular.

I believe the other brand your refering to is RiteTemp. I installed a couple and for the money not a bad stat. Pretty sure they also have swing adjustment too.

That's what I expected to see when I went there yesterday but I think they either changed brands or the brand changed names. You had to make me go look at the web site, didn't you. :)

Instead of RiteTemp it looks like they now carry Filtrete, or at least that's what my branch (and on line) carries. They are a 3M company that seem like they were called The Radio Thermostat Company. Probably got bought out by 3M

Boston, you can order a pretty nifty t-stat from harman. It has a 3 degree swing, but only varys 1 degree if there is still a min burn going in the firebox. I ran into the same problem cause I wanted to use the same stat for my ac unit as I used with my pellet furnance. Ended up going with 2 different t-stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.