Needing a crew for the Ice storm Who's in?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Getting text messages that Fed-X truckers are closing down do to Ice Storm. Get Fuel and Bar Oil......
Who's In?

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
Getting text messages that Fed-X truckers are closing down do to Ice Storm. Get Fuel and Bar Oil......
Who's In?

http://pws.trafficwise.org/ipws/nw/

Zap

It shut the state down in the late 80's here on 3/4 inch of ice no power for over 2 weeks. Our office that I was working at the time went from street to street clearning lawns of debris for free for a month. I had a gas water heater city water and a wood stove I was one of the lucky ones. I had people lining up for a hot shower!

I am getting the saw ready for the storm. But I have to be at work in emergencies, no way around it. Students need to eat.

MMaul said:
I am getting the saw ready for the storm. But I have to be at work in emergencies, no way around it. Students need to eat.

That Bites! I have 20 gallons of fuel! lol

20 gallons where was that when we needed it in the splitter.

MMaul said:
20 gallons where was that when we needed it in the splitter.

lol, That was my can 93 octane....Just filled all the cans up. Gen-set ready! Could be a big crowd at my place....They dont know it yet but I will put them to work.....lol

10 gallons of kerosene for the garage heater, 10 gallons of genny gas, 2/3 cord on the covered front porch, 1 plow truck, 2 salt spreaders, 1 ton+ of ice melt, and 2 weeks worth of food. I think I am ready. If people start showing up at my place, they are either working or paying a cover charge! lol!

MMaul, where's that video??????

Bocefus78 said:
10 gallons of kerosene for the garage heater, 10 gallons of genny gas, 2/3 cord on the covered front porch, 1 plow truck, 2 salt spreaders, 1 ton+ of ice melt, and 2 weeks worth of food. I think I am ready. If people start showing up at my place, they are either working or paying a cover charge! lol!

MMaul, where's that video??????

No wonder we get along! lmao Have you stack yet? how much you get?

Video's coming. It's a little shaky.

Have not stacked it......Guessing by my previous loads of that size and weight Im calling it 3/4 cord or 2.25 ricks. If power is out for a while, It may get a for sale sign. $50-all you can carry lol!

MMaul-Video is shaky due to too a few too many adult beverages the nite before. Sorry. I bet I sweat out a half gallon doing that little bit of cutting. Should have eaten dinner I guess!

I remember that nasty one in March 1990 that wreaked havoc all over the state. Large chunk of the midwest with no power for 3 days,at night it was an eerie sound,you could hear whole trees snapping & breaking off in the distance.And if you were close enough to see,massive showers of sparks when they hit the transformers/power lines & caught on fire.Reported to work as usual next morning at jobsite downtown,new parking ramp next to 44 story office tower.No power there,so what few of us showed up,turned around & sat home for 2 more days.Only good thing I remember (if you could call it that) was in the next few weeks you could get enough wood to last 3-4 yrs easily. I've cut plenty of times in ice storms,years ago when I was younger & was almost out of wood & had no choice.Never again will I put myself in that position if I can avoid it.

I'd be in if I lived closer. I will get some gas, oil ,and chains sharpened incase my neighbors need some help.

woodsmaster said:
I'd be in if I lived closer. I will get some gas, oil ,and chains sharpened incase my neighbors need some help.

I think thats what its going to come down to. Stay close to home atleast for the first couple days. Winds are very sharp here right now.

Thistle said:
I remember that nasty one in March 1990 that wreaked havoc all over the state. Large chunk of the midwest with no power for 3 days,at night it was an eerie sound,you could hear whole trees snapping & breaking off in the distance.

Spent that storm at my sister and BIL's feeding their Lopi for a week. That was when I learned about how firewood warms you twice!
The trees snapping and breaking off were in my front and back yards, unfortunately, not in the distance. I'm a leetle bit nervous about this storm.

smokinjay said:
woodsmaster said:

I think thats what its going to come down to. Stay close to home atleast for the first couple days. Winds are very sharp here right now.

Latest forecast is 1"+ of ice. That's bad news.

lukem said:
smokinjay said:
woodsmaster said:

Latest forecast is 1"+ of ice. That's bad news.

What part of Indiana are you in?

mydogspot said:
Thistle said:
I remember that nasty one in March 1990 that wreaked havoc all over the state. Large chunk of the midwest with no power for 3 days,at night it was an eerie sound,you could hear whole trees snapping & breaking off in the distance.

Spent that storm at my sister and BIL's feeding their Lopi for a week. That was when I learned about how firewood warms you twice!
The trees snapping and breaking off were in my front and back yards, unfortunately, not in the distance. I'm a leetle bit nervous about this storm.

I lost 1 big limb from the huge American Elm in front yard,just folded over.Few smaller ones on walnut & mulberry trees in backyard,they were spared any major damage.Can't believe those 2 big nasty Ailanthus trees & 1 smaller one didnt come down in a heap.I brought them down in March 2000,glad to be rid of them.That old Elm was 2/3rds dead by 2006,in June I brought it down along with a much smaller somewhat healthy upright one out next to the street. Kept me in wood for almost 3 winters,even though it wasnt as good as the dead oak & hickory I am normally cutting.

Latest Update!

Winter Storm Warning for Madison, IN
from 7 pm EST, Mon., Jan. 31, 2011 until 7 pm EST, Wed., Feb. 2, 2011

Radar MapWhat's This?
Updated 31 Jan 2011 2:50 pm Local TimeEnlarge Map | Weather in Motion®

Get WeatherReady
•Prepare for Winter Storms
•Tips for Snow & Ice Removal
•Driving in Snow & Ice
•Get Live Traffic Reports
•Wintry Precipitation Explained
Issued by The National Weather Service
Indianapolis, IN
1:38 pm EST, Mon., Jan. 31, 2011

... WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 7 PM EST WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN INDIANAPOLIS HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW... SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 7 PM EST WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* MAIN IMPACT: ROADS WILL LIKELY BECOME IMPASSABLE DUE TO HEAVY SNOW OR ICING... BLOWING SNOW WILL REDUCE VISIBILITY... TRAVEL WILL BECOME VERY HAZARDOUS OR POTENTIALLY IMPOSSIBLE. ICE ACCUMULATIONS MAY RESULT IN WIDESPREAD... LONG DURATION POWER OUTAGES.

* ACCUMULATIONS: SNOW ACCUMULATION IN EXCESS OF 12 TO 16 INCHES IS POSSIBLE IN NORTHWEST CENTRAL INDIANA. ICE ACCUMULATIONS IN EXCESS OF ONE INCH ARE POSSIBLE ALONG AND NEAR THE INTERSTATE 70 CORRIDOR.

* TIMING: PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN MONDAY EVENING AND CONTINUE THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.

* OTHER IMPACTS: WIND GUSTS OF 35 TO 40 MPH ON TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY IN COMBINATION WITH HEAVY ICE ACCUMULATIONS WILL LIKELY RESULT IN DOWNED TREES AND POWER LINES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW... SLEET... AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

&&

More Information
... POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC WINTER STORM TO IMPACT CENTRAL INDIANA...

.A STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM OVER THE WESTERN UNITED STATES WILL PUSH ACROSS CENTRAL INDIANA STARTING TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY. A VARIETY OF WINTER WEATHER IS EXPECTED WITH THIS SYSTEM.

AS THE SYSTEM APPROACHES... COLD AIR WILL BE IN PLACE AT THE SURFACE... HOWEVER VERY WARM AND MOIST AIR WILL BE PULLED INTO THE SYSTEM ON SOUTHERLY WINDS... RESULTING IN WARM AIR ALOFT. THIS WILL RESULT IN FREEZING RAIN OR SLEET ACROSS MUCH OF CENTRAL INDIANA THIS EVENING INTO TUESDAY NIGHT. AS THE LOW PASSES TO OUR EAST EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING... ALL OF THE PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE OVER TO SNOW.

AT THIS TIME... NORTH AND NORTHWEST CENTRAL INDIANA... INCLUDING THE CITIES OF KOKOMO AND LAFAYETTE LOOK TO REMAIN COLD ENOUGH THAT A SIGNIFICANT PORTION OF THE PRECIPITATION MAY FALL IN THE FORM OF SNOW. HOWEVER SNOWFALL MAY BE HEAVY AND SNOWFALL AMOUNTS IN EXCESS OF 12 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE BY WEDNESDAY EVENING.

FARTHER SOUTH... INCLUDING THE CITIES OF TERRE HAUTE... INDIANAPOLIS... BLOOMINGTON... NEW CASTLE AND MUNCIE... WARM AIR IS EXPECTED TO BE PRESENT AND PRECIPITATION MAY FALL AS SLEET OR FREEZING RAIN. SIGNIFICANT ICE ACCUMULATION IS POSSIBLE... WITH ICE ACCUMULATION OF ONE INCH OR MORE. FURTHERMORE... STRONG WINDS GUSTING UP TO 35 MPH ARE EXPECTED FROM LATE TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. THIS COMBINATION WILL RESULT IN WIDESPREAD DOWNED TREES AND POWER LINES.

A LARGE AREA OF CENTRAL INDIANA MAY RECEIVE LARGE ICE ACCUMULATIONS AND STRONG WINDS BY WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. THIS WILL RESULT IN WIDESPREAD TREES DOWN AND WIDESPREAD POWER OUTAGES. LONG DURATION POWER OUTAGES WILL BE POSSIBLE FOR MANY PEOPLE IN CENTRAL INDIANA.

UNCERTAINTY STILL EXISTS WITH THE PRECISE TRACK OF THIS SYSTEM. ADJUSTMENTS IN THE TRACK IN LATER FORECASTS MAY HAVE SIGNIFICANT IMPACTS ON AREAS THAT MAY RECEIVE FREEZING RAIN OR SNOW. STAY ALERT TO THE LATEST FORECASTS FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION ON THIS POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC WINTER STORM.

zapny said:
Ouch! >:-(

Zap

Yea anyone wanting a test on there stove's or anything else Here it is!

Ok zap its raining and spitting ice just started...Here we go!

saw is cleaned up refueled and sharp chain just waiting. Started here about 30 minutes ago.

MMaul said:
saw is cleaned up refueled and sharp chain just waiting. Started here about 30 minutes ago.

All rain here now and sticking to everything. Oh and blow out air filter. May need the little extra hp.

Status
Not open for further replies.