Neighbor lady says "take it!"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iembalm4aLiving

Feeling the Heat
Oct 3, 2008
N.E. Ohio
I'm lucky to have an elderly neighbor lady who has a pretty well wooded yard. A few years back a big tree fell in her back yard. I introduced myself and offered to remove the tree. She was very happy to have me do it, and asked me several times how much she owed me for the work. Of course, I declined, saying the wood was my reward.

Today I was out back and noticed another smaller tree down that needed to be removed. I called her to get permission to take it and got "You're welcome to take anything you want back there....and I'm going to have 2 big trees taken down this spring. You can have that wood too if you want it."

WOO HOO!

All I need now is the weather to cooperate so I can snag the tree that's down and waiting to be processed. I'm pretty sure there are some other odds and ends laying around that can be useful.......I'd like to have it CS&S'd before the snow sets in....

Is there anything better than FREE firewood? I think not!!!!

Fantastic!!! Treat that neighbor lady well. We too have an elderly neighbor lady and many times I'm over there doing little things for her and she always thinks she has to pay me and pay well. Most times I turn it down but can't do it too much. One time I plowed snow from her driveway two times without charging. So, what did she do? A few days later we got an envelop in the mail and there was some money. Geeze....

Yes
Free when it's next door. :)
No cost but some saw gas & some labor.
I got some free wood that cost about $40 rnd trip, per load, still cheap but some free wood costs more than other.
Sweet deal!

Backwoods Savage said:
Fantastic!!! Treat that neighbor lady well. We too have an elderly neighbor lady and many times I'm over there doing little things for her and she always thinks she has to pay me and pay well. Most times I turn it down but can't do it too much. One time I plowed snow from her driveway two times without charging. So, what did she do? A few days later we got an envelop in the mail and there was some money. Geeze....

Lol,

That first tree was laying in my neighbor lady's yard, but the tree fell from HER neighbor's yard, also an older lady. She called me up and thanked me profusely. Asked what she owed. I said nothing. A few days later, my doorbell rings. It's her. She hands me a card and thanks me again. I tell her she's very welcome.

I open the card and there's 2 $75 visa gift cards inside. Unreal.

I feel uncomfortable when I keep taking from a neighbor. If there's no way I can do something in return, I too will give a gift (and what is always the right gift? cash!)

DanCorcoran said:
I feel uncomfortable when I keep taking from a neighbor. If there's no way I can do something in return, I too will give a gift (and what is always the right gift? cash!)

Many times you are doing them a favor, cleaning up a mess.
If they burn wood, share some if they need it.
Several neighbors have me cut up down or tees the don't want.
Most times, it's just being neighborly :)

It seems like when you cut up a tree for firewood some people think you should pay them for the wood, others think they should pay you for the work.

Good deal for both of you, if it makes her feel good to give you something in return, accept it, some people like to give. My neighbor had two trees blown down in the snow storm, yesterday I asked him if he wanted me to cut them up and Id take the big wood and leave him the branches for his fire pit bonfires, he thanked me several times for offering to clean up this mess, little did he know hes doing me a favor. Free wood 100 feet from my yard.

If an elderly lady offered me that much wood, I'd buy her a bottle of sherry as a thank you.

Most old ladies here like a glass or three of sherry at Christmas..... ;-)

Nothing better than a win-win situation. Most people are looking at a down tree in the yard as a big headache and a cost to get it removed. I have a single mom a couple houses down that on a few occasions has had large branches or trees fall in her yard. When she sees me outside as she is driving by she will ask if I'm interested in the wood. My usual line is I will come take a look at it and most likely take it as long as she isnt in a hurry to have it done. Then, I'm usually there within a couple days and leave her yard cleaned up. Last Xmas eve, door bell rings and she is at the door with a huge cookie platter as a thanks for helping her out.
Win - wins are the best!

Good deal for you . . . good deal for the neighbor.

Status
Not open for further replies.