Neighbor / Southside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Our neighbor on the southwest side had something spook his cows which sent them on our property that I cut on.

His son walked back in from the road on the southside, the father we let on from our road with the truck, cows made it back without any problems. He thinks it was a bear.

zap

We keep seein prints, but not the bear. I just hope it's bear and not mountain lion.

My guess would be the coyotes, the bastard came right off the back hill one morning down towards the house. It's not coyote season yet our was it Barney could not find his one bullet! :oops:

zap

Pulled out onto the golf course at dawn one morning the see something shuffling across the front 9..... BIG black bear. Pretty sure they can outrun a greens mower........ _g

Reactions: zap
That's one of the perks of living in Indiana. There's nothing out in the woods that will try to eat you. I guess technically a 'yote *could*, but I've never heard of a deadly coyote attack around here. There have been reports of mountain lions in the area...but I'm skeptical.

LOL a bear in NY will not try to eat you either. Nothing scares them more than humans or dogs.

The problem is, near camp sites people get the stupid idea to feed them. Or leave garbage around.

I think we've gotten to the point where we would be safer being taken care of by animals, than they are being tended by us<>

SOP is to deny the mointain lion. Then someone goes and kills one. So much for denial.

SOP is to deny the mointain lion. Then someone goes and kills one. So much for denial.

We have had one confirmed mountain lion kill and two confirmed wolf kills around the area of my cabin on the Mississippi. DNR still denies their existance.

Jags, it sounds like we have the same DNR people! However, ours did finally admit to some cougars and we have way too many wolves. They about crapped a couple years ago when someone got a picture of a wolverine! They have been gone from MI for many, many moons. MI used to be called the Wolverine State but because of the lack of them they changed it, I think, back in the 50's.

Reactions: Jags
LOL a bear in NY will not try to eat you either. Nothing scares them more than humans or dogs.

The problem is, near camp sites people get the stupid idea to feed them. Or leave garbage around.

I think we've gotten to the point where we would be safer being taken care of by animals, than they are being tended by us<>

This is the traditional line on Black Bears. bt actually there have been some deths in recent years. Pretty bad attacks...good idea to mke plenty of noise in the woods if you suspect black bears are around...don't want to surprise them....

Jags, it sounds like we have the same DNR people! However, ours did finally admit to some cougars and we have way too many wolves. They about crapped a couple years ago when someone got a picture of a wolverine! They have been gone from MI for many, many moons. MI used to be called the Wolverine State but because of the lack of them they changed it, I think, back in the 50's.
Too many wolves and coyotes here in the winter too. Wolves take down deer on the frozen lake, and will run along side you in packs if you ski on the lake...not exactly my idea of a pleasant winter day. We have a good number of fisher too. Getting to be quite a few bears too.

Same folks must have gone to the same university -- Ostrichheadinthesand University. Here in Maine they also are or were claiming that there are no mountain lions or wolves despite a few spottings each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.