Neo 2.5 install quality question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Alby

May 19, 2020
Australia
Hi all,

I'm in Australia, and after doing a lot of reading on this great forum, I purchased a Neo 2.5 freestanding fire. I have some questions about the installation quality and wondering if you guys could give me some feedback on if I should be chasing this up with the supplier/installer.

When the installer put it in yesterday, I was immediately concerned with 2 things: he used chrome screws for the flu collar which just looks cheap, and I noticed a gap in the paint at the flu joint - silver showing. He said I could get plastic caps for the screws (thats just how they come apparently?!) and that the gap in the flu would go away with first heating. It hasnt - in fact its probably gotten worse.

I rang the fireplace supplier who was a bit dismissive but said he would send the installer around again with some touch up paint.

After that call last night I noticed multiple scratches on the flu, and scuffed off paint on the heater as well as a chip of paint off the handle. The flu collar install also resulted in black marks on the ceiling - looks rough.

I've attached photos here - take a look and let me know if I am being over the top or if I should dig in my heels. I know you can touch up with stove paint, but I just forked out $2000 more for this fireplace than a fireplace I brought 2 years ago that did not have any of these issues. So I'm a little frustrated.

appreciate your thoughts!

Alby

Attachments

• flu collar screws marks.jpg
    flu collar screws marks.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 127
  • flu gap.jpg
    flu gap.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 129
  • flu scratch.jpg
    flu scratch.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 126
  • handle chip.jpg
    handle chip.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 130
  • scratch on top.jpg
    scratch on top.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 122
I can see the reasons for your frustration. Some will be easy for them to touch up. The handle chip will need to be discussed with the dealer. It's hard to say when this happened.

thanks begreen.

I should have added that I've noticed the door handle has wriggled looser than it was first time I used it, it closed nice and snug, now its sloppy and when I close the door its not very tight on that seal. So much so that if I close it on a sheet of paper I can pull that paper through really easily.

Could that be the reason for what was a bit of an out of control burn last night - I made the mistake of loading with too small pieces, I know that, but shutting down the air intake all the way did not slow it down the way I would have liked. thoughts?

The handle looks like it was banged and damaged. When this happened is unknown, but it sounds like it needs replacement. There is no good touchup for that. The latch mechanism is simple if this is like other PE stoves. Is the latch receiver a simple V notch?

The handle looks like it was banged and damaged. When this happened is unknown, but it sounds like it needs replacement. There is no good touchup for that. The latch mechanism is simple if this is like other PE stoves. Is the latch receiver a simple V notch?
no the receiver is a round rotating barrel if that makes sense. Do you think thats normal to have the flu join so visible with metal showing through?

no the receiver is a round rotating barrel if that makes sense. Do you think thats normal to have the flu join so visible with metal showing through?
The cosmetic issues can be touched up. The important safety issues are the door not closing tight enough and it looks like the stove pipe was not screwed together nor attached at the flue collar.

To do this right will make several more visible screw heads. At least three at the stove and three at that mid span joint. Hopefully he uses black screws.