Nervous about buying a cord c-s-d

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4 cords

Aug 31, 2008
central ct
Well need to buy a cord of seasoned split this week,does anybody know a good source in eastern Ct? I have never had to buy and dont want to end up with wood that we cant burn. I will ask how long its been split when I call -have a couple numbers but no references.One guy I called said from pole to processor to truck when I order, not interested in that. Any help would be great .

Very difficult to find good seasoned wood any time of the year. Downright almost impossible right now.

A little advice to offer though. Get all of next year's wood NOW! It will need the time to dry right. Better yet, get 2-3 years ahead on your wood supply and you will be a very happy wood burner.

4 cords said:
Well need to buy a cord of seasoned split this week,does anybody know a good source in eastern Ct? I have never had to buy and dont want to end up with wood that we cant burn. I will ask how long its been split when I call -have a couple numbers but no references.One guy I called said from pole to processor to truck when I order, not interested in that. Any help would be great .

Can't help you with sources down your way, but I can tell you it's vanishingly unlikely you'd be able to find actually seasoned wood for sale particularly this late in the winter. They may call it seasoned, but it's nowhere near seasoned enough for use in modern stoves.

One thing to look for is a lumberyard that sells kiln-dried firewood by the cord-- but find out what moisture content they take it to before you buy. You want around 20 percent, not the 10 percent that some sell. Some lumberyards have taken to selling bulk firewood to retail customers since there's been such a collapse in the home building industry. If you can find it, you'll pay a premium for it, but it will solve your problems and be a pleasure to burn.

Otherwise, you're likely out of luck unless you can find a neighbor with an extra stash in the back yard he/she is willing to sell.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I've heard of very, very few people anywhere in the country who post at Hearth.com anyway who've been able to find real seasoned wood-- ie, cut, split and stacked for a year minimum-- for sale. And I certainly can't get it where I am.

You'd be better off burning bio-blocks for the rest of the year than trying to heat with green wood. You're highly unlikely to find properly seasoned wood this time of year. I think some guys toss a little salt and pepper on the piles and tell you that it's well seasoned. Like others are telling you, if you can.... bite the bullet and buy as much as you can afford NOW for the next year or two. Next year you'll be thanking us for that advice.

What part of ct? ...

Coventry just out of willimantic

I'd have to agree with everyone else. Though, if you know someone who knows someone, you might get lucky. So, ask around. My neighbor happened to know someone and just had 2/3 cord delivered of seasoned wood, mostly maple.. had been in a barn for years and when we were throwing it off the truck, it sounded like bowling pins knocking together.

Fischer's Landscaping, from Cromwell. They've been really good to us, and their wood is exceptional. (He also does really good Masonry work).

-Soupy1957

4 cords said:
Coventry just out of willimantic

How far is it from enfield?

Try:
FIREWOOD,
seasoned or green, able to deliver any quantity in Colchester or Hebron area. (860) 537-0862. Colchester, CT

I've used them in the past. She has/had a tremendous pile of stuff split last time I drove by. Usally around 200-220 CSD. (at least in town)

Also theres a fellow in Danielson that I've used but his number is at home. I'll see if I can find it tonight.

Thanks for all the help ,I have a load due tuesday 3pm he said was cut and split in the spring. He gets 200 a cord and I know thats a fair price.Think he will mind if I press my meter into a few before he dumps it or is that an insult? We are ordering a log truck load as soon as my mountain of snow melts. Thanks again for all the help ,may post a pic of the pile if Im not looking at a cord for next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.