never did this much before

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpeterb

Jul 15, 2009
Western PA
When I cut wood, I usually cut one day, haul it home, unload it, and split and stack it the next day. The only exception is if it is a small load. Today, however, I cut up a huge maple, with quite a few rounds pushing 26 inches across, loaded the wood and hauled it in two trips, filling the bed of my truck and my trailer each time, split and stacked the wood using my Fiskars for most of it, and the log splitter for the nasty ones. In the end, I completely processed almost 2 cord of wood today from tree to tight stack. It took all day, but what a great sense of accomplishment. I am starting to pay for it, however...these old muscles are not what they used to be....

trumpeterb said:
When I cut wood, I usually cut one day, haul it home, unload it, and split and stack it the next day. The only exception is if it is a small load. Today, however, I cut up a huge maple, with quite a few rounds pushing 26 inches across, loaded the wood and hauled it in two trips, filling the bed of my truck and my trailer each time, split and stacked the wood using my Fiskars for most of it, and the log splitter for the nasty ones. In the end, I completely processed almost 2 cord of wood today from tree to tight stack. It took all day, but what a great sense of accomplishment. I am starting to pay for it, however...these old muscles are not what they used to be....

lol young mussel would be sore more than I would want to do with 2 people. Yet I normally will not run over 4 hrs. unless I am finnishing up somthing that has to be done.

Well done, 2 cord tree to stack in a day is an accomplishment especially when its not on your property. I spent almost 4 hours on a cord I scored yesterday and half of it was already cut to length and I don't stack. It always seems to take me an hour or two to get a cord and an hour or two to process it.

I agree that 2 cord is a big bunch in one day unless one is talking face cord rather than full cord. But when a person is young, sometimes it just feels good to overdo it.

So, was this full cord or face cord?

full cords....about 5 1/2 face cords. I am sooooooo sore today...but looking out the window and seeing all that wood seasoning now makes me smile...

I buy grapple loads, so I don't do a variety of tasks in one day. I either buck all day or split all day or stack all day. Mixing it up must break some of the boredom and give different muscles a rest.

Wow, I get tired cutting up a cord and having my sons load and unload it from the truck. And we never split same day, always let the rounds sit for at least a week because they start to naturally crack on the ends and it makes splitting much easier. We don't have a a hydraulic splitter, so we appreciate all the help we can get.

I think you are abusing yourself. ;-P

Good job trumpeterb...makes me tired just thinking about doing 2 cord all in a day. I'm kind of lethargic looking while processing wood but like the turtle hare race eventually I can point to significant production results.

Bravo!

I've been trying to handle wood less. One improvement thatseems to be working out well: Spotting the wheel barrow on the off side of the splitter. I can generally fill the wheel barrow pretty quick right from the splitter. Then it's easy to ease it right up to the stack and be done with it. I am also considering dragging the splitter into the woods. Then I could drive up to the stack with the P/Up and eliminate one stacking operation.

2 cords is a big day for anyone.
Mike

In my younger days I could do that, but now I'm older and wiser and stay 3 years ahead so I can take my time and process firewood a little bit at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.