NEW 55-SHEPEP ?'s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

liv2hunt

Nov 14, 2010
Great Bend, Kansas
...I dont know if I am dollowing some things with the new pelet stove I have recently purchased. the stove I have is a summers heat 55-shepep. I got everything installed and going. Yesterday once i got it installed i turned it on with the heat setting at 5 and blower at 5 and after a couple of hours the thermostat in my house was reading 80 deg. Tonight I have had it going for 3 hours and it doesnt seem the same as yesterday. same settings and same outside temp. on the three lower buttons I have: low fuel feed=1 low burn air=4 and air on temp=1. I HAVE not adjusted these and alsodont know how. I have pushed the low fuel feed button and tried pushing the up and down arrows with no luck. Do you have to have the stove off? also moved the heat setting to 2 and tried it and it wont adjust. Also, my flame is lazy, everytime pellet fall in the hopper they seem to drop the flame until they ignight than the flame goes back up. Sorry for such a long worry post, but i want my investment to be running the best it can.

Hi liv2hunt. Welcome to the forum!

I am not familiar with your stove but I believe it is made by Englander. There are some knowledgeable people here (including Englanders lead tech, stoveguy2esw aka:Mike Holton ) with those stoves I am sure that others that are will chime in by morning.

Once it is up and running right, make sure and post a pic !!

Good Luck!!

Thanks...glad to be here. Im sure it will be running better, one of the reason i bought this brand was cause of this forum I found before my purchace and englanders customer support...I will be waiting for their replies!!!! :)

That stove is the new Evolution Pellet stove. Nice unit, but I don't know what the correct lower button settings are supposed to be. If 1-4-1 is what it said from the factory, then I'd leave it alone.....something else must be wrong.

Lazy flame indicates lack of combustion air. Is the burn pot clean after yesterdays burn? If not, scrape it clean with something hard (screwdriver, metal scraper, etc) and make sure the holes in the pot are clear.

I know how to change the lower button settings, but since you said you haven't changed the factory settings, then leave it alone.

Did you change ANYTHING else since yesterdays burn?

No, I have not changed anything from yesterday besides that the stove is on heat 6 and blower 6. this morning after I let it burn overnite the stove was out when i woke up 8am. so I fired it back up for till noon cause it was getting nice outside. I dont know if this matters but I have a instant read thermoeter in the stove fan vents and is reading 155 degrees. Just to cover my install, i ahve my unit mounted in a corner, 45 degree elbow, than 1 foot straight pipe, than vertical T, 3 foot straight section on pipe, than 90 degree elbow, than exit vent.

oh, and yes i vacumed out the entire fire box area very good this morning and not much cresote in fire pot, and made sure everything is CLEAN.

type of pellets: Rocky mountain pellet company

Your exhaust set-up seems fine. The only thing I can think of offhand is possible the outdoor wind direction.....was it blowing directly toward the exhaust outlet when you had the poor flame? If so, it may be the problem. The only way to solve that is to take the pipe straight up above the roof edge a few feet and use a round cap instead of the "spout" that I think your using on the end of the pipe.

Maybe the control board went bad? Did you try unplugging the stove for about 10 seconds and plugging back in & then try starting it? (BTW, before you try restarting, wait for all the display to go back out after plugging it back in)

Other than that, I have no clues.....it's a brand new stove, so ash build-up is out of the question.

imacman said:
Your exhaust set-up seems fine. The only thing I can think of offhand is possible the outdoor wind direction.....was it blowing directly toward the exhaust outlet when you had the poor flame? If so, it may be the problem. The only way to solve that is to take the pipe straight up above the roof edge a few feet and use a round cap instead of the "spout" that I think your using on the end of the pipe.

Maybe the control board went bad? Did you try unplugging the stove for about 10 seconds and plugging back in & then try starting it? (BTW, before you try restarting, wait for all the display to go back out after plugging it back in)

Other than that, I have no clues.....it's a brand new stove, so ash build-up is out of the question.

Yesterday the wind was out of the north at 15-20mph tonight it is calm. Spout is facing north . I have not tried unplugging the stove yet it is still going. the ehaust outside feels warm and not hot but can touch but not hold hand there for a long time

Those Rocky Mtn. pellets should be fine. Also, vacuuming every day is not needed.....I have not cleaned my 10-cpm in a month and have had no problems (I'm burning the Rockies too). Once every 3-4 days should be fine.....longer if the pellets don't create much ash.

When you vacuumed the firebox, you didn't dislodge any clean-out trap doors, did you? If so, that will allow burn air to enter through that and not through the burn pot....that would result in a poor burn also.

liv2hunt said:
......Yesterday the wind was out of the north at 15-20mph tonight it is calm. Spout is facing north .

That exhaust probably should NOT be facing north, as the prevailing winter winds will be blowing the exhaust back down the pipe, as I mentioned. Since the winds are calm tonight, is the stove burning any better?

I think in this case taking the pipe out some more and up a couple feet above the roofline would help tremendously when it is windy.

How's the stove running this morning.......

Just a thought, you may want to change the post heading to include your stove and the issue you are having.

edit: dont know if running the vent above the roofline will help, but bringing it out at least 18' from the exterior is suggested. Also, if your vent cap allows it, maybe angle the tip down 45 deg for wind. If not, a round cap end as imacman suggested should help the wind

thermostat says 78 in the adjacient room to stove 64 in rest of house. I kept the heat seeting on 6 and 6 last night. i had the hopper filled with 40pds of rocky mountain pine at 7:30pm and its now 11:30am cst and there is about 3pds of pellets left. also, it looks like a bunch of ash all over in the stove, maybe its normal i dont know. Would still like to know what the lower three buttons do on this particular stove? Also why when pellets fall into burn pot, flame almost looks as if it was smoothered out?

Again, I'm not familiar with this stove or what is normal ash buildup for it, but what are the outside temps? Could it be that the stove is in maint burn? I dont keep the house as warm as you are, but mine is bairly burning as the outside temps have beem around 60 yesterday and 55 today. Not much fuel being used and just a maint flame going.

liv2hunt said:
thermostat says 78 in the adjacient room to stove 64 in rest of house. I kept the heat seeting on 6 and 6 last night. i had the hopper filled with 40pds of rocky mountain pine at 7:30pm and its now 11:30am cst and there is about 3pds of pellets left. also, it looks like a bunch of ash all over in the stove, maybe its normal i dont know. Would still like to know what the lower three buttons do on this particular stove? Also why when pellets fall into burn pot, flame almost looks as if it was smoothered out?

The lower three buttons set up the low burn parameters and their effect is normally felt on heat settings 1 and 2, however there are several different burn programs on that controller that decide how the stove uses that and other information to actually control the burn.

Short of measuring timings and power supplied to the fans at different settings by the different burn programs the only people that know exactly what the situation is are the England Stove Works folks.

OK, I have the same stove. Not sure about your heat issue, as I'm not entirely sure I understand what your issue is, but as far as the pellets practically putting the fire out, well that seems to be normal. I ran my stove on 5 and 5 the first few months that I had the stove and it practically heated me out of the house. Finally put a thermostat on it and still was running it on 5 and 6 until today, but that's another story, will make a new thread. Anyway, today I've turned it to 1 and 2 so I can keep the fire going low and constant and staying fairly comfortable. Most of the time I can't really even see the flame with that setting, just a glow low in the firebox. As long as the fire is still going after the pellets drop, I'm not worried.

Oh, and as was already said, don't mess with the lower 3 buttons. Factory set and when I asked Englander about the proper settings, they say 1-4-1 is correct.

Hard to help the OP, as every post from them has new/different "issues", plus they never seem to really answer the questions we've asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.