New addition to chainsaw family

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin M

Feeling the Heat
Dec 22, 2008
Southbury, CT
I doubled my saw inventory by picking up a MS 361 on sale today. :coolsmile: Hopefully it should handle everything that the MS 250 can't.
MS351.jpg

Chainsaws.jpg

Very Nice! If you want the 361 to do more, get rid of the green chain in favor of a yellow RSC or RM

HittinSteel said:
Very Nice! If you want the 361 to do more, get rid of the green chain in favor of a yellow RSC or RM

Amen, +1000. A killer saw like that deserves a decent chain.

Also - do you ever use the 250??? Geeze man - get that thing dirty! ha.

Nice set you got there!

Funny how once you learn a trick you always look for it. The pro stihl saws have white handles. I didn't need to know the 250 model was a homeowner saw, I could tell by the orange handle. So it my 290 but not the 260 or 361.

You got it on sale? I didn't know that they had sales on Stihl.

People seem to really really love the 361.

Some of the babies even have black handles. The MS290 is an orange handle.

You weren't trying to be sly and indicate that you wouldn't waste your time with non-pro saws were you? Ha! The non-pro suits my needs just fine.

How much did that saw set you back? Get a good chain for that saw and run a few tanks of gas thru it and you will love it.

Wait till you get a few cords under its belt. Then she will wake up. Vrooom..vroooom. :cheese:

Oh, your gonna love that saw...not that I am biased or anything. :coolsmile:

and I second or third or whatever, getting the yellow banded chain. It DOES make a big difference, and you will have plenty of power to pull it.

Highbeam said:
Some of the babies even have black handles. The MS290 is an orange handle.

You weren't trying to be sly and indicate that you wouldn't waste your time with non-pro saws were you? Ha! The non-pro suits my needs just fine.
I was only partly joking. I guess every Stihl I've ever owned had a white handle so I never realized there were orange and black handled versions. We learn something every day...

The handles actually indicate the product lines. Black for occasional use, orange for mid-range homeowner saws, and white for pro.

You pay a healthy amount to go from an orange to a white handle.

Highbeam said:
The handles actually indicate the product lines. Black for occasional use, orange for mid-range homeowner saws, and white for pro.

You pay a healthy amount to go from an orange to a white handle.

lol That could go the other way as well!

Highbeam said:
You got it on sale? I didn't know that they had sales on Stihl.
There is a 10% off "Father's Day" sale at my dealer this Saturday. I can't make it in Saturday so he gave me the discount now and I paid $548.99. Buying a BR600 blower at the same time probably helped too.

If you haven't run the 361 with the green, I bet your dealer will swap it for a yellow. If I'm not mistaken, I think there is a yellow chisel chain for the 250 also. You will have a great combo with the 250 16" and the 361 20" both running full chisel chains. Very good saw investments.

Justin M said:
Yeah, I have a yellow chain on the 250 now. The dealer told me some BS about not being able to sell the saw with out the green chain on it, so I'm going to have to buy a yellow and keep the green as a spare.

I beleave that to be true even my 460 came with safety chain

Will the dealer give you a hard time if you ask for the yellow chain?

I've been running the green chain it came with, but come Fall, I have some large stuff
that will need to be sawn.

When I bought my 361, he warned me "not to lend it out, it's a serious saw"

If he does, tell him you are taking todays and future business elsewhere. Safety chain sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.