New Alderlea T6 Install - ?Firebrick by ash chute

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madison

Minister of Fire
New T6 installed yesterday, and am baffled by the space not covered by firebrick next to the ash chute within the firebox. This uncovered space also has a bolt with a nut on the exterior of the firebox that is fixed (loctite?) in a somewhat loose fashion. The bolt if manipulated has ~ 1/4" play. It is just barely visible to the left of the ash chute just behind the front firebrick. See attached picture.

Burn-in pics to follow in a few days...

Thanks for replies in advance.

Attachments

• T6-Ash-Chute.jpg
    T6-Ash-Chute.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 742
  • T6.jpg
    T6.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,102
I wouldn't be too worried about the space not covered with firebrick, mine's like that too.
Those bolts holding the ash chute should be tight, though. You might be able to tighten it yourself by pushing down on the round head of the bolt with your thumb while tightening the nut underneath.

Dunno about the T-6. BeGreen burns one, so he'll be able to advise, but Jimbob's post might be the answer. My little CFM in the workshop has a removeable piece of floor firebrick with a little U-bolt cast into it on top, so when I'm burning I have a complete floor, but when I want to scoot ashes down into the pedestal ash drawer I can lift that "trap door" piece out of the way (using fingers, gloves, or pliers...depending on stove temp), clean the firebox out to my satisfaction, and then brush the ash out of the little shelf it rests on, replace it, and go about my business. Doesn't look to me as though the T-6 is built that way, so I'd assume it doesn't need to be. Rick

When I installed my T6 I noticed the gap next to the ash chute. I called the dealer and he said its just that way and do not worry about it. I decided to cut an extra piece of fire brick to fit the spot. Easy to do and just makes me feel better.

Thanks to all. The loose bolt in the space without the firebrick is a slight concern to me, especially since this is in the area without the firebrick, it does not seem to be associated with the ash chute, just a bolt and nut down thru the steel floor. I would think that there would be small amount of air flow from the ash pan, around the loose bolt and into the firebox. I tried to thumb tighten the bolt and it would not tighten (or loosen). I may have to dial the 800 number....

Nice looking stove and hearth. I like the irregular shape of the hearth alot, stone looks great too, seems to really match the colors of the house. looks like you have easy access to wood via the slider to the left. good luck with it.

PM BeGreen...that guy would take his T-6 apart if that's what it took to help you out. He's a Prince. Rick

I have an ash bed in my T5 right now, but my memory says it looks exactly the same around the ash chute. Your T6 looks great, what a nice central little nook you found for it!

Looks good man

I'll give bg a day or so then pm him if i don't see a post... Or PE ...

The wall and hearthstone came out better than we hoped, I did the design ("Even a blind squirrel sometimes finds a nut "), the stone mason was absolutely the best.

Estimating stone thickness, clearances, thimble position etc took many days of templates, masking tape and liberal doses of alcohol.

Appreciate the good vibes.

fossil said:
PM BeGreen...that guy would take his T-6 apart if that's what it took to help you out. He's a Prince. Rick

Maybe better to PM thechimneysweep, Tom Oyen. My PE bed is covered in ash and pistachio nut shells right now. It may be awhile before I'm contemplating the T6's ash hole. :lol: We've been in a string of beautiful weather since Sept 1st. No stove activity here.

The bolt you are referring to holds the ash chute (or at least it should). The ash chute is an option, installed after the fact (on the Summit anyway), so whoever installed and assembled your stove left that bolt loose. What might have happened is the nut jammed on the threads of the small carriage bolt they use, causing it to just spin in the hole.

Thread locker isn't generally used there anyway because it loses effectiveness when subject to heat. Maybe phone the dealer or the installer to see what they say.
New bolt & nut should be available locally, just take the other one out as a sample.

Nice install, btw. :)

Thanks jimbob et al for the posts, I will examine this closer this evening and see if I can unfreeze the bolt and tighten it up.

When I was inspecting the unit during the installation, I did not notice how the bolt was associated with the ash chute assembly, and thought that it was a tie down anchor for shipping. (But now that I think about it, the ash pan would block that bolt from being used as a tie down during shipping). I did open and close the ash chute flap and it seemed secure and operated as one would expect.

Thanks Tom.

The bolt and nut are both stripped, and cannot be tightened, and as well the nut cannot be removed from the bolt, it just spins.

When I grab and try to move the ash chute assembly, the chute assembly does not move, so either there is a second bolt (which i cannot find in the drawings, or with my eyes). Or it is also welded into place? Pictures attached.

It is also in a tough location to try to hacksaw or use a bolt cutter.

I used a chisel to cut the extra firebrick that was supplied to cover the bolt and space next to the chute.

I do not think that any enormous amount of air will flow past the loose bolt, and added firebrick. Which is my concern since the ash chute seems secure.

Attachments

• Firebrick-Mod.jpg
    Firebrick-Mod.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 440
  • Bolt-Head.jpg
    Bolt-Head.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 394
  • Ash-Chute-Bolt.jpg
    Ash-Chute-Bolt.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 402
You can buy high temp thread locker (for engine builds).
I am going to look at this on my T6 (buried under crap in the garage).

There is one other bolt holding the ash system in place. You'll see it if you remove the brick just to the right of the ash system.

http://pacificenergy.net/product_alderleaT5.php
Download the owner's manual
Go to pg. 21 and zoom in on part #8, you'll see the 2 mounting holes on the ash dump..

Bolt is a 5/16 X 1 NC carriage bolt if you wish to replace it.....:D

Not familiar with the thread locker goop, but you think you can goop it around the bolt to seal the hole, and it would harden and not melt from the heat?

It didn't show up in the one picture, but the threads on the bolt were mangled. Still looking at mine, and cannot move the ash chute assembly.

thanks jimbob, i just removed the firebrick to the right of the chute and there is actually two bolts under that brick. Both of which are secure.

Do you think I should be concerned about air entrainment around the one loose bolt? (I don't think it should be an issue)

dnf: Get some strong dudes to lift your T6 in place.

Just got off PE's website, it looks like the ash system is standard equipment on the T-5, so it might have been put together like that @ the factory.
I'd still fix it anyway.
Good job on the piece of firebrick, btw. Might do that on mine.

Well I thought there was a higher temp Loctite. I only see one that goes up to 400 or so degrees.
Strength goes down with temp which I also didn't know.
Bad idea.

Thread locker's a light liquid, and not appropriate for use as a sealant. If you're bound & determined to get that carriage bolt/nut out of there & replace it (as I think I might be), you might be able to get to it with a tool called a nut buster, which is basically a threaded chisel in a steel housing which surrounds the nut and shears it in two on one side. They're available in different sizes, and you might find one at an auto parts store, or most certainly online at any number of tool suppliers. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.