New approach to burn.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings, This winter I have used a different tactic toward wood burning.
In the past I have, with few exceptions, cleaned the ash from the firebox religiously each morning before starting the days fire. I would usually put the coals aside as I removed the ash.
This year, I may have removed some ash,not all, on four occastions. Not only that but I have set the primary air on Low and kept the air wash open at all times.

I find I the house is as warm and much less fuel is consumed.
The stove is a Centennial, the primary air is spring loaded and will open or close to satisfiy the need.
The primary air seems full open on low and closes as the firebox warms repopening as needed to keep the fire burning. There is no run away as when the primary is full open and greater air demand of a hot chimney, if any, is pulled in through the air wash. It is almost March 1th and we still have a goodly amount of wood.
Have any of you been doing this all along?

This isn't a science controled experiment. I haven't compared out door temp and measured the stick count of the wood burned but this has been a colder, at times, winter, with less snow.

I always leave some ash on the floor of the stove, even after cleaning. It insulates the base of the fire.

FWIW, I empty the ash as infrequently as possible. Often this is every other weekend.

That's the way I burn and it works great for me.

Ehouse

I learned long ago (from forum members) that a good bed of ash is your friend. I let it pile up until it almost comes out the door when I open it. It does wonders to keep the stove warmer and use less wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.