new at&t fiber

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN
Hey, here they come with my ATT fiber! šŸ¤—
Finally, the working man gets his due, after all those years when I'd gaze longingly across the field to see the houses of the folks half a mile away who could get cable internet or DSL, while my only option was the phone. Thank you, Sleepy Joe! šŸ˜„
Yeah, let's send all the migrant workers back to May-hee-co. šŸ˜ Somehow, I can't imagine them, no matter what they paid, getting any white kid to chop their way through these roots. We have several trees back here, ya know... šŸ˜† These people are bustin' a nut..
PXL_20230224_145526682.jpgPXL_20230224_145615292.MOTION.jpgPXL_20230224_145645489.jpg

Hey, here they come with my ATT fiber! šŸ¤—
Finally, the working man gets his due, after all those years when I'd gaze longingly across the field to see the houses of the folks half a mile away who could get cable internet or DSL, while my only option was the phone. Thank you, Sleepy Joe! šŸ˜„
Yeah, let's send all the migrant workers back to May-hee-co. šŸ˜ Somehow, I can't imagine them, no matter what they paid, getting any white kid to chop their way through these roots. We have several trees back here, ya know... šŸ˜† These people are bustin' a nut..
View attachment 310191View attachment 310192View attachment 310193

I believe my town name should be called Lazy entitled independent dependents. People that dont want anyone telling them what to do, do nothing, take from the government, let their houses turn to sh**, trash rentals...then complain about their state in life.

Im glad to see when someone actually wants to feel good about themselves doing work. We've become a society that celebrates rap stars who cause countless kids to ride with guns in their pants or in their car eventually ending in violence.....but not the teacher that is being spit on for $40k per year and is told there is nothing that school admins can do about it because the kid has some special classification.

We've become a wimpy lazy society....then complain when someone else comes in because they realize the HUGE opportunity they have to live an honest fruitful peaceful life. And they are proud of the work they do and what they do for their family and themselves. They strive for something better and know that you have to work for what you get.

That's how life works. 100 years ago if people just laid around being lazy all day moaning, they died.

We've become a society that celebrates rap stars who cause countless kids to ride with guns in their pants or in their car eventually ending in violence.....but not the teacher that is being spit on for $40k per year and is told there is nothing that school admins can do about it because the kid has some special classification.
Soon, teachers will all be packin' heat so that should cut down on the spitting. šŸ˜

Reactions: SpaceBus
Soon, teachers will all be packin' heat so that should cut down on the spitting. šŸ˜
I truly hope it never gets to that. The issue is the parents arent parenting, they send their kids to school to be babysitters. And you arent allowed to put kids that have behavior issues into another class, so it drags down the good kids..and the good kids sometimes turn bad.

I've had / have teachers in my family. They all start out the same. Bright eyed, dress up for school, try really hard with lesson plans and creative things for the kids to learn - then by 20 years they look like they are 75, usually drink too much and count day every day until retirement, and most have a VERY bleak outlook for humanity.

I've had / have teachers in my family....then by 20 years they look like they are 75, usually drink too much and count day every day until retirement, and most have a VERY bleak outlook for humanity.
Other than being teachers, they are pretty much like me then. šŸ˜† Except maybe for the bleak outlook. Sure, that's one possibility, but I'm hoping that our gift of free will may yet save the day; Hundredth Monkey Theory and all that. šŸ¤ž
And though I've been known to quaff a beer or knock back a shot from time to time, I don't drink all that much. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. šŸ˜

att has been on a rampage to eliminate dsl. no data charges on that hence marginal income. i got so fed up with att and their over priced shenatagins that i got rid of them completely. one line from att is $60/mo plus what ever service charge. so if dsl is $60/mo plus line charge that is $120/ mo. be real careful with att services. they have their promotional items but when they expire good luck $ wise.

Congrats on finally getting fiber!

I know the scenario all too well. I finally got high speed internet for the first time about 2 years ago. Charter/Spectrum had the monopoly on cable, and they refused to install anything more than 4 miles outside of town. Wireless providers would come and go, and with all the hills and trees you were lucky to get it anyway. Viasat wasnā€™t doing installs in my zip code. Most of rural Michigan was in left the dark. I had dialup at home which was mostly useless, I just did my internet business at work.

Well eventually GLE (the electric coop for rural Michigan who was always been good) decided to start laying fiber (TrueStream) to piggyback with their service, to get high speed internet to all these people who have been in the dark for so long. Itā€™s been amazing. It also helps them in pinpointing power outages, so itā€™s a win-win.

ATT DSL, bad memories there. They somehow figured that my address could get DSL. So I figured Iā€™d give them the benefit of the doubt. The installer came out and said there was no signal, I was too far from the switchboard. Which I already knew. So I said thanks and to just cancel the order. Well the next day he was installing it and he said ATT forced him to install it anyway. Iā€™d just have to send the equipment back. I said I wasnā€™t paying for it. ATT said just ignore the charges and late fees. Well that didnā€™t fly. By the time it was said and done, I got taken to collections and ended up paying something like $70 for a service I couldnā€™t even use.

Unfortunately I have them for my iPhone service because thatā€™s the only signal I could get here. Even at that, I had to put up WeBoost antenna to concentrate the shred of signal enough to be usable. I have one bar as I sit here on my couch and thatā€™s with the antenna. At least with the TrueStream, I no longer need to rely on the cell tower coverage while at home, I can just run off that. I just leave the antenna for others who come over.

att has been on a rampage to eliminate dsl. no data charges on that hence marginal income. i got so fed up with att and their over priced shenatagins that i got rid of them completely. one line from att is $60/mo plus what ever service charge. so if dsl is $60/mo plus line charge that is $120/ mo. be real careful with att services. they have their promotional items but when they expire good luck $ wise.
This is strictly fiber internet. I've had Big Red Vz since the days of the usb modem, and eventually switched to their mobile from a previous Tracfone I had. I also had ATT landline for a while, but when you'd call in trouble, it might be a week before anyone showed up to look at it. Then it might work for a week or two, and crap out again. I finally just got rid of the landline, which my nephew (ATT employee) told me they wished everyone would do.
Both Vz and ATT cell service is good here, and the Vz mobile data was OK as long as I didn't run through my hotspot allotment by watching videos, and then get the speed throttled. I like to use the Windows desktop or laptop, so need to hotspot from a phone, mobile hotspot etc. Not a big fan of using the Android phone/browser for internet.
I'm not a heavy data user, but youtube videos for car repairs and everything else are very useful.
It'll be sweet to have the website pageloads just slamming in at 300 Mbps, the level of the cheapest package at $55. They've got the fiber casing laid, but it might still be several months before they run the cable and hook us up.
ATT DSL, bad memories there.

Unfortunately I have them for my iPhone service because thatā€™s the only signal I could get here. Even at that, I had to put up WeBoost antenna to concentrate the shred of signal enough to be usable. I have one bar as I sit here on my couch and thatā€™s with the antenna. At least with the TrueStream, I no longer need to rely on the cell tower coverage while at home, I can just run off that. I just leave the antenna for others who come over.
My neighbor had their DSL, and would only be getting like 2Mb speed sometimes...marginal these days, not even able to stream HD video. But I get slamming speed over at his place on Vz mobile, and so does my nephew on his ATT mobile. I guess at my place we have more trees messing with the signal; I get 20-30 Mb here, and at my neighbor's it's like 80 or 90Mb, both places LOS to the tower, less than a mile away.
I like the Wilson (weBoost maker).. used their CB car antennas years ago and found it to be quality product. My brother recently got a cell booster for his house, since no carrier comes in good there. At least he doesn't have to go outside to get a signal now. Not something you wanna be doing during a WI winter! šŸ„¶ā›„ā„ļø

Since my post in another thread was excised for purportedly wandering astray from the topic and I ended up with my own thread, I guess I might as well continue to wander. šŸ˜
Checked on a stack today, a combo of the dead White Ash that's very wet, but I'm hoping will dry by next winter, plus other dry wood that I've added over the last week (some dead Oak branches on top front.)
OK, it's a temporary stack, but it is drying...surfaces of the splits looked dried out in about two days, so that gives me hope that the inside will dry over the summer. šŸ‘Once the trailer is full I'll take it to SIL2's shed. Air movement isn't as good, down in the hole, but maybe we get a hot, dry summer.
Guys in the background are finishing up the fiber casing.. when they hook us up, that should heat things up several degrees around here. āš”šŸ’„
Cool how they put a tunnel a couple feet deep for the casing. They have a big air compressor that drives a torpedo-shaped jackhammer, pounding its way through and compressing the soil out to form a sturdy tunnel. They hand-dug 4x1' rectangular holes, two feet deep every 25', to drop the jackhammer into.
PXL_20230224_193225550.jpgPXL_20230224_185043837.jpgPXL_20230224_185933641.jpgPXL_20230224_212832130.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure how they get it to hit the next hole, 25' away and going around curves..?

Often with my ATT and WeBoost I would get 1 mb. Sometimes I would get surges up to 30 mb. And even ā€œunlimitedā€ data would cut you off after awhile.

My TrueStream gets 100 mb on the slowest cheapest plan ($60/mo). Still like lightning compared to what Iā€™m used to. With just me here it doesnā€™t slow down.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Not sure how they get it to hit the next hole, 25' away and going around curves..?
Do they actually curve it? Or just a series of straight runs 25 feet apart? Even straight runs, it seems tricky to get it to exit at the next hole, especially with all the roots and junk. Like drilling a hole in a long piece of material, often itā€™s unpredictable where it will exit.

Maybe they do that so they donā€™t have to cut through as many roots? In my yard they just ran a standard trencher for the orange casing, but mine is all sand and a little topsoil, with barely a root or rock to be found.

When it was finally time, they gave me a self install kit due to covid. Which was fine with me. I ran my fiber connection line from the box to the basement through conduit, because the last thing I wanted was critters chewing it, or other damage to the delicate line.

DE20DBD7-59F5-4329-9C66-CA7924DD12B0.jpeg

One of the first things I did was what Iā€™d wanted to do for awhile. Be able to monitor my house temperature, and monitor and control my pellet stove remotely. A cheap WiFi camera and BroadLink device does the trick. Much peace of mind, and the ability to save pellets. Like 1-2 bags a week.

Last edited:
All nice and dandy, because I am paying a freaking $92 per month for internet at the lowest speed (25 Mbps...!) they have here. The town made some agreement with Optimum that only they could put their wires on the poles, leading to a monopoly at a price level that is 3x as high as back in TN, where I had higher speeds AND there were 1/4th the amount of people per mile of line...

No other vendors here; I've asked them all.

Corrupt politicians here. Probably getting a kickback from Optimum.

Edit: I just checked and one can get 50 Mbps for $10 a month in Knoxville. That's introductory, but still...

Last edited: