New Castle Serenity Owner venting question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

imokuok

Jan 23, 2014
South Central, Pa
Hi all, after a year of looking at different stoves and lurking on this forum. I decided on the Castle Serenity stove. I have seen allot of useful information on here and everyone is very helpful. I am looking to install my stove in the next few days and had a question about the venting. I was wanting to go up and out with the vent but I seen that you should not go over 15 EVL with 3 inch pipe. My set up for this would be Duravent 3PVP that would include a Appliance Adapter, T with clean out, 45, 36 inch pipe, 90, then out through wall with 12 inch pipe to horizontal vent cap. If i figured right that would put me at 15.5-16 EVL. The reason I have the 45 in there would be to help center the stove pipe and provide the T clean out easier to access since it would be on a slight angle. I could go out and up and be well under the EVL without the 45 but I figured that later on down the road if I wanted a different stove I could just hook up to the existing pipe instead of drilling a new location for the wall thimble since it seems like all stove exhausts are at different heights and locations. Would welcome any thoughts and advice on how to do this. Pictures would also help to, Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Not sure i could follow how you have a T, (which is a 90 angle) then a 45 elbow and then a 90 elbow and still being able to finish horizontal.. :)

that said, my set up is in the basement (pretty sure i have negative pressure there), i have no OAK, and my venting system is a T, about 3 feet straight up, then a 90 elbow that goes into a 4" to 6" adapter (6" of a Class A pipe), then through the wall for about 3 feet at most, then another 90 T (with clean out) then like 18 feet up (6" class A pipe).

It works like a charm and i did not have to adjust the cmobustion motor voltage for and intake for that purpose.. i actually had to adjust those two to REDUCE the speed of the air flow since i had lots of pop corns.

i'll look for my previous images i shared last year when i installed this puppy. I really only followed the instructions on using 4" pipes as i would had 180 degrees of elbows and a T...and it was easier to transition from 4" to 6 or 8 that the pre-existing class A had.

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
20171001_161633.jpg
Here is the set up with the 45 on the T. It would give me better access to the clean out and center the pipe in the middle of the stove.

View attachment 200754
Here is the set up with the 45 on the T. It would give me better access to the clean out and center the pipe in the middle of the stove.
oh!, i see what you mean.. you are tilting the T 45 degrees instead of being straight up.

I am no expert, but based on what I posted before I really doubt you would have any issues with your stove being able to get air flowing through the system and still have a good burn.
According to the manual, you fall below the requirements to go up to 4" pipes, and you do not go beyond the "limits" of the standard settings for fan and air opening.. but most likely you would still adjust them to your own preferences.

Here is my internal set up (pardon the mess as I'm cleaning it up), after that adapter of 4 to 8" it goes up through the wall for let's say 3 feet, then another 90 elbow and upright for 18 feet or so (all that last section a Class A pipe).

Btw, I just clean up the 4" section and i had no issues getting the brush (using the lint eater system) and bending the rods around.. easy as pie.

tiG15dbWddOaP7BQAq213yLrNnMc2MW22WU2jLy8knD-Tmy6ruccIdEmuDLudqrx73NqZwemIQ2Lg49HvHmt2=w1399-h849.jpg

Yes, buy putting the 45 in, it centers the pipe in the middle of the stove. I also am going to add the OAK. Just wanted to make sure i wasnt over the limit for the 3 inch stove pipe.

I'm sure you will be fine

Hi all, after a year of looking at different stoves and lurking on this forum. I decided on the Castle Serenity stove. I have seen allot of useful information on here and everyone is very helpful. I am looking to install my stove in the next few days and had a question about the venting. I was wanting to go up and out with the vent but I seen that you should not go over 15 EVL with 3 inch pipe. My set up for this would be Duravent 3PVP that would include a Appliance Adapter, T with clean out, 45, 36 inch pipe, 90, then out through wall with 12 inch pipe to horizontal vent cap. If i figured right that would put me at 15.5-16 EVL. The reason I have the 45 in there would be to help center the stove pipe and provide the T clean out easier to access since it would be on a slight angle. I could go out and up and be well under the EVL without the 45 but I figured that later on down the road if I wanted a different stove I could just hook up to the existing pipe instead of drilling a new location for the wall thimble since it seems like all stove exhausts are at different heights and locations. Would welcome any thoughts and advice on how to do this. Pictures would also help to, Thanks in advance.

Forward thinking. like that. I also like the 45 to tilt the tee.
As far as your concerns about the stove handing the length of exhaust, you'll be fine. Just make sure if you are required to meet code on the install, that you do or have it inspected or whatever is required so insurance does'nt have a reason to deny claim should it, God forbid, ever be needed.
IMO.

Reactions: rich2500
Well I got the stove installed, but not up and out like i wanted to do with the 45 degree on it. After piecing all the pipe together i realized that the control board was in the way for that run. Needless to say i just went straight out and up 36 inches.

I guess my next two questions would be: What is the temp range for the appliance adapter and stove pipe coming out of the back of the stove before it goes through the wall thimble? (about a 6 inch. span) I was getting any where from 100-120 on the pipe and 130-170 degrees on the appliance adapter. i didn't know if this was normal or not.
I also seen some puffs of smoke coming out of the exhaust once in a while is there a different setting i should try. air adjustment or change exhaust voltage.
I also installed a outside air intake.

I guess my next two questions would be: What is the temp range for the appliance adapter and stove pipe coming out of the back of the stove before it goes through the wall thimble? (about a 6 inch. span) I was getting any where from 100-120 on the pipe and 130-170 degrees on the appliance adapter. i didn't know if this was normal or not.
I also seen some puffs of smoke coming out of the exhaust once in a while is there a different setting i should try. air adjustment or change exhaust voltage.
I also installed a outside air intake.

Those temps seem fine to me. You should able to hold your hand on for just a couple seconds before it gets uncomfortable.

But you should not see any smoke, or even smell smoke from the exhaust, and, for that matter, since you have an OAK, nothing from the intake either. This has nothing to do with settings, but you have "leaky pipes". ;em This should be addressed with high temp sealant at the connections.

.. But you should not see any smoke, or even smell smoke from the exhaust, ....

I agree with this, but at the same time I have to say that because is brand new you will have this oil/paint smell for a while until it is burned out by the stove.

I agree with this, but at the same time I have to say that because is brand new you will have this oil/paint smell for a while until it is burned out by the stove.

Good point to make.

Those temps seem fine to me. You should able to hold your hand on for just a couple seconds before it gets uncomfortable.

But you should not see any smoke, or even smell smoke from the exhaust, and, for that matter, since you have an OAK, nothing from the intake either. This has nothing to do with settings, but you have "leaky pipes". ;em This should be addressed with high temp sealant at the connections.

Thanks for the info on the leaky pipes. I picked up some high temp flue tape today to seal the joints instead of using the silicone. I didn't notice the smoke until I fastened the pipe to the side of the house with a bracket. Must of put a little strain on one of the joints.