New chipper....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SWNH

Feeling the Heat
Dec 23, 2008
New Hampshire, USA
This was a very muddy crossing on my property back in March:

before.jpg

Now it's a smooth trail:

after.jpg

Thanks to this:

chipper_1.jpg

Tory-Bilt Tomahawk Pro Chipper, 8hp. Picked it up on CL last month for $400. Excellent condition and included extra knives.

The nice thing is, the throat opening at the blades is 4"x8", so it'll take wood with side branches without trimming them much at all.

chipper_2.jpg

My neighbor has the same machine (but a larger engine...12hp) and I borrowed it last year for a couple days. I was quite impressed with it's performance. It's basically a small drum chipper. Very stout and extremely simple construction...which is a good thing since they are not made anymore. While it'll take 4" diameter wood (got to feed it slow), anything over 2" is firewood for me. And for that, it'll self-feed. Been cleaning up all the brush from the trees I logged over the winter. The chips make nice cover for the trails.

I added the trailer hitch so I can tow it out to the woods with the ATV.

That's a great setup! While mud bogging on the quad can be fun, I can see it being a PITA when you're trying to haul wood and get work done. Nice work on the trail!

Do you ride your quad a lot on your land?

Yup, I only use the ATV on my land. It's replaced my tractor for all tasks except cutting the grass.

Makes a nice clean look!

I am glad to hear it works well. I have seen alot of chippers on CL and have been ready to pull the trigger a few times then some people have told me they are not worth the trouble. In order to chip you need a really big one, like the professionals use. Otherwise they take too much time and can not handle decent sized branches. I am curious what other people think of chippers.

I have a 4.5 inch bearcat PTO chipper . It works great , not the fastest thing in the world but handles anything that I throw away not useing for firewood . There are a few brush branches I have to cut down to get thru the chipper but not many . I do prefer to chip green branchs dureing the summer I think its less stress on the chipper . Now is it worth the time and effort ? It all depends , I had a need for it to clean up a bunch of fence lines where there was no place to go with the brush so yes there but if you can get by with brush piles why create extra work for your self and the expense of a chipper .

Status
Not open for further replies.