new door gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gyingling

Aug 13, 2010
south central PA
I am due for a new door gasket on my Enviro Windsor. I procured the new gasket from my local dealer and have done the research to install it.

I am told to install the new gasket with HI temp RTV, which I have, close the door, and allow to cure for 24 hours before I use the stove.

Is it imperative that I allow it to cure for this long? If I run the stove on low for awhile, won't that cure it enough to use the stove? BTW, I am using 600 degree RTV from the auto store.

gyingling said:
I am due for a new door gasket on my Enviro Windsor. I procured the new gasket from my local dealer and have done the research to install it.

I am told to install the new gasket with HI temp RTV, which I have, close the door, and allow to cure for 24 hours before I use the stove.

Is it imperative that I allow it to cure for this long? If I run the stove on low for awhile, won't that cure it enough to use the stove? BTW, I am using 600 degree RTV from the auto store.

Hi

Just did mine last week used 600 degree RTV, closed the door and fired up the stove ran it on low for a couple of hours then turned up the heat...checked it the following day had no problems.
Work fine for me.

Thanks for the reassurance. I don't want the stove to be down that long, it's not my only source of heat, but the best one.

Thanks again for the reply.

No comment on the rope gasket. But My Brother-in-Law has a cabin in PA. Butts up against Cook State Park (Forest). Noticed your screen name. Brings me a case Ying Ling Beer every time he comes out this way.

That is my last name, but the beer is spelled Yuengling and it is made about 2 hours away from me. No relation otherwise I would pay somebody to take care of the stove.

gyingling said:
That is my last name, but the beer is spelled Yuengling and it is made about 2 hours away from me. No relation otherwise I would pay somebody to take care of the stove.

Didn't think about a relation, and I currently don't have any here to check the spelling. Thought that you enjoyed the beverage enough to make it your screen name. Didn't think about it being your last name.
My screen name Is DexterDay and Dexter is my middle name. Hated it as a child, but your name is what makes you different from everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.