New Drill / Corded

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Looking for a bigger corder drill, what are your thoughts on these two?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

http://www.lowes.com/pd_299790-70-DWD210G_4294857546_4294937087_?productId=1243799&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL;=/pl_Corded+Drills_4294857546_4294937087_?Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&page=1

zap

depends on the usage

for larger bits, lower rpm is better..... I had a 1/2 inch craftsman 600 rpm was too fast, gave it away and fixed the old B&D 350 rpm for 1/2-3/4 inch in steel.
For home use maybe you want higher rpm.
variable speed of course has lower rpm, but may not have the power or control needed at low speeds.

I bought a few corded ones on garage sales as they are so cheap, to back up the cordless stuff. have a couple 1/4 inch corded with 1/8 inch pilot drill that just stays in the drill. a 1/2 VSR 1000 rpm max for drilling steel and running floor screws that the screw gun can't handle, couple other 3/8 sized VSR for misc work.

Much as I was a fan of yellow, I personally would avoid the Dewalt. My original cordless DW lasted 12 years of hard use, batteries went 6 yrs. So based on good experience I bought a combo set (circular, sawzall, drill) for a home addition project. between that set and my compressor and angle grinder I have had: AC back 3x to dealer and still leaks out the unloder valve, drill twice for gearbox issues, angle grinder back the first week for noise, then the bad armature went up in flames after an hour, circ saw switch burned out at a year, sawzall has been perfect. oh, the corded screw gun has been fine, although just running maybe 10 rooms of drywall.

Batteries lasted less than 2 years (although by date code they were apparently 18 months old when I bought the set).

Only after going cordless did I relaize how much time wasted setting and dragging cords. But for say lots of drywall or flooring screws there simply is no substitute for the power of the electrical wall outlet.

kcj

Both are great units, but I just like Milwaukee tools best. I am looking at the same decision, but I think I'll opt for a nice condition used Milwaukee from eBay at half that price or less.

Battenkiller said:
Both are great units, but I just like Milwaukee tools best. I am looking at the same decision, but I think I'll opt for a nice condition used Milwaukee from eBay at half that price or less.

A place you might want to check out is CPO Milwaukee . . . they sell "factory certified pre-owned" set and corded tools, if something goes wrong, you send it right back to the manuf.. I bought a corded Ridgid and a cordless set from CPO Ridgid for roughly 1/3 the price of new and they came w/ a 1 yr guarantee and I've had them now for 3 yrs of pretty good use and the batteries are still holding up strong, and the corded drill runs like a champ. If I had to do it all over again though, I would have gotten a Makita set over Ridgid. I've got buddies in the construction world that have let me use the Makitas, and wow, IMHO they have the corner of the market on quality tools.

You can see their site: http://cpooutlets.com/our-network-of-stores/

I have used both in many different situations, we had both where I used to work, they are both great drills but the Milwaukee is a beast. Id go with the Milwaukee.

How much are you going to use it and what for. I have a Milwaukee that is at least 35 yrs old and it just won't die. It is very heavy and for that reason alone I don't use it much. I have a little 3/8 Dewalt that I use alot. I would recommend the Dewalt as it will do everything you need.
Doug

Attachments

• 100_1443.jpg
    100_1443.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 312
lobsta1 said:
Zap,
I hope you saved your receipt & the UPC code. Here is a link for a 20% rebate from Ridgid. Also, make sure you register the tool to get the Lifetime Service Agreement.
Al

http://www.ridgid.com/Download/lsa_eblast_rebate.pdf

Have a double receipt plus saved the UPC code, just have to register it. Lobsta1 do you have one and if so how do you like it?

Thanks
Zap

Zap,
No I do not. For corded I have a 30 year old Makita & a 1/2" Craftsmen also. I do have several cordless drills including a Ridgid 14.4V one. I don't like the chuck on the Ridgid as it has a tendancy to loosen up.
Al

My drill came today. What a nice tool! I've used them before, but never wanted to spend the money on one. Gotta love eBay. $65 including shipping. :)

No owner's manual, but it looks completely unused and works fine. USA made as well. Has the Quik-Lok cord, so I can use the 25' cord that I got for my Sawzall when I need the extra length. Plenty of torque and very smooth, and the VS control is very even and predictable. Don't let the modest 5.5A motor rating fool you. This thing will pop your wrist for sure if you get a big bit jammed while you're one-handing it.

Now I have to go looking for a cheap Hole-Hawg. :cheese:

Attachments

• Milwaukee-Hole-Shooter.jpg
    Milwaukee-Hole-Shooter.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 188
Status
Not open for further replies.