New England pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people like them, others do not. Personally, I think they are in the same leauge as Inferno and Bayou, some of the lowest brands available. But, that is me and my stove. I have also seen too many instances where people had problems and it was the same old, same old.....NEWP promises to make better bellets and things seem to just stay the course.
But who knows? Maybe they are making a better pellet this year.

I just finished a sample run of the latest from NEWP Schuyler, NY. plant. Much better than I expected. The NEWP's out of Jaffery NH. were also pretty good.

So depending on prices of other brands, there worth a shot at least on trying some.

freebird77 said:
Local guy selling them for $215.00 a ton. What do you people who have burned them, think of them?

knowing what they cost these days, I'd say thats a good deal....when was the last time you saw New England's for that price?

I bought a few bags recently from the Schyler plant and I won't be buying anymore in large quantity, not good heat from my stove. Even if the price is low, i would pay same or little more for many other brands. It is possible that these bags were older pellets though, I didn't check the born on dates. Perhaps the newer product is hotter.

Schoondog

Lousyweather said:
freebird77 said:
Local guy selling them for $215.00 a ton. What do you people who have burned them, think of them?

knowing what they cost these days, I'd say thats a good deal....when was the last time you saw New England's for that price?

I haven't seen the spring price yet, But in my region they are right at $255/ton. I'd say 05 or somewhere there abouts.

I have burned just about a ton of them. They are OK for heat but seem to burn very dirty in my stove. I have to do a thorough cleaning every 3 days minimum. The bags also seem to have a lot of dust (fines?) in them. I'm switching to Okanagans for next season.

Having seen a couple pellet plants and their sourcing.....I find it nearly impossible to say any eastern pellet is naturally "good" or "bad".......these places source from many places - everything from fresh green forest wood to the sawdust from furniture shops. Many pellets stoves will burn any decent pellet pretty well...but some are finicky. Western pellets, in general, have a better reputation...back in my day it was Lignetics, but there are many others now and Lig makes eastern pellets also!) because the wood is more consistent and usually all softwood.

But, on the other hand, buying Pellets closer to home can often be much greener in the long run......less oil (trucking and train) involved, and heating local. This may be important to some people and less to to others.

If I were buying a new stove today....I'd shop for one which "digests" most pellets with relative ease, as opposed to one which required the best. It gives you more flexibility........both now and in the future.

The fines are another story.....I suppose these come and go based on machine adjustments, packaging methods, storage time, handling (trucking might shake the pellets) and other factors.

Webmaster said:
Having seen a couple pellet plants and their sourcing.....I find it nearly impossible to say any eastern pellet is naturally "good" or "bad".......these places source from many places - everything from fresh green forest wood to the sawdust from furniture shops. Many pellets stoves will burn any decent pellet pretty well...but some are finicky. Western pellets, in general, have a better reputation...back in my day it was Lignetics, but there are many others now and Lig makes eastern pellets also!) because the wood is more consistent and usually all softwood.

Especially Okies...Huh Web?....Just Bustin! :)

I've burned about 10-15 bags of NEWP from the Schuyler, NY plant with a mfg date of September 2010. Heat was ok, a bit more ash and carbon buildup but at $219/ton in my area I may be grabbing a ton or 2.

Honestly, my Harman will burn just about anything. The only difference I notice is the amount of cleaning that I need to do.

johnnycomelately said:
Webmaster said:

BTU must of sent web a big check! :cheese: hehe (just kidding-just kidding!)

j-takeman said:
johnnycomelately said:
Webmaster said:

I can feel the love.

I have been past the new Deposit, NY plant a couple times this past week for work, and it seems they are up and running....lots of steam coming from a very new looking "smokestack", plus a large yard filled with sawdust/chips that seems to get bigger each time I drive past. Wonder when we'll see any of those pellets.

I may just stop off at the plant the next time by and see if I can get some "samples" to try. Will also try to remember the digital camera to take some pics....they have at least 1000 tons sitting outside (uncovered) that I think were shipped in from the Schuyler plant for storage.

As of the new year the pellets are much better from what I have burned. The pellets from last September were ok at best to me. The Schuyler plant has been doing good on quality for a while now. Not sure if they care for us much because we tell them when something is junk and refuse older product. But hey we are pushing there name to muster sales and show that they can make a good pellet. The spring buy was good, able to sell them for $199 but that ends next week. Look for the 4 digit number when buying 1001-1111 burn great IMHO. Just so it is known I am a dealer for New England and Cubex but also a user of both.

Thanks everyone. I already have my pellets for the coming season, but these are something new on my way to work, and if i were to get any extra, they would be handy to pick up. I might get a ton and give them a shot.

Is the Deposit plant a New England manufacturer?

imacman said:
I have been past the new Deposit, NY plant a couple times this past week for work, and it seems they are up and running....lots of steam coming from a very new looking "smokestack", plus a large yard filled with sawdust/chips that seems to get bigger each time I drive past. Wonder when we'll see any of those pellets.

I may just stop off at the plant the next time by and see if I can get some "samples" to try. Will also try to remember the digital camera to take some pics....they have at least 1000 tons sitting outside (uncovered) that I think were shipped in from the Schuyler plant for storage.

Hi all I exchanged emails with NEWP about 2 months ago and they said be up and running in May. Jeff

j-takeman said:

I'm feeling the power - one or two clicks and any particular word can FOREVER show up here as ##### instead of the one which is typed.....

What say you? If someone abused you, stole from you and then called you a....well, those names would show us as ##### anyway, what would you do? I think it might be a public service.
:cheese:

Just kidding....like you guys are.
Or, I could start a new web page with all the illuminating emails I was sent..........that would be pretty cool. Nah, just having some fun.

Back to the Easter Candy for me....

Hmmm, getting around it....

0 - keys - oakkegN , you win!

To summarize the thread with something a bit informational - I think that a LOT of the problem today involves stoves as opposed to pellets. For a manufacturer to design and sell as stove today which is not tolerant of most ANY pellet is just crazy. I can understand the lack of engineering in the 90's.....folks out west (where most pellet stoves were designed and made) used softwood pellets and designed their stoves to use what was available there. However, it is now 20 years later! Pellets stoves have always, since the beginning, been sold with an implied promise that pellets would someday be made out of all kinds of various biomass, and that the stoves would burn them.

I also have burned Harman mechanisms - and used peanut hull pellets with 3% ash ($25 a ton) with success. I'm not saying every stove should be able to do that, but all stoves should be able to burn 95% of the pellets sold out there with no problems.

As people replaces their existing pellets stoves - and for new customer, I heartily suggest a stove which is proven capable of burning just about any pellet which is within the basic specs. It might be "sport" chasing down a perfect batch, but at the same time it's not realistic for most people.

Webmaster said:
As people replaces their existing pellets stoves - and for new customer, I heartily suggest a stove which is proven capable of burning just about any pellet which is within the basic specs. It might be "sport" chasing down a perfect batch, but at the same time it's not realistic for most people.

Multifuel stoves and furnaces handle the higher ash fuel very well. Problem is all the pellets we see on the market wear the premium label. I feel its like high test gas. It should be to a higher standard as most carry the hefty price tag.

I know I can handle the lesser brands/batches, But would expect a cut on the price. But unfortunately that's not what we are seeing! Some not so good fuels carry a price tag as high or higher than some of the better quality fuels out there.

j-takeman said:
Webmaster said:

Multifuel stoves and furnaces handle the higher ash fuel very well. Problem is all the pellets we see on the market wear the premium label. I feel its like high test gas. It should be to a higher standard as most carry the hefty price tag.

I know I can handle the lesser brands/batches, But would expect a cut on the price. But unfortunately that's not what we are seeing! Some not so good fuels carry a price tag as high or higher than some of the better quality fuels out there.

Once upon a time, we had Premium, Standard, and Industrial pellets.....premium being the most expensive, industrial being cheapest......the industrials were 3% and above ash (by weight), and boy, were they dirty! The problem was that many folks would only look at the price and not heed any warnings....then buy several tons, pack them away, and find their aging units couldnt without alot of difficulty (or if at all), burn them......then, they want to send them back. Its a bit of a problem when they bags of pellets are in someone's basement to "take them back".....once carried back out and re-palletized and re-shrinkwrapped, they are unstable, etc......ended up being a bigger pain that it was worth, all for roughly a $30/ton discount.

Lousyweather said:
Once upon a time, we had Premium, Standard, and Industrial pellets.....premium being the most expensive, industrial being cheapest......the industrials were 3% and above ash (by weight), and boy, were they dirty! The problem was that many folks would only look at the price and not heed any warnings....then buy several tons, pack them away, and find their aging units couldnt without alot of difficulty (or if at all), burn them......then, they want to send them back. Its a bit of a problem when they bags of pellets are in someone's basement to "take them back".....once carried back out and re-palletized and re-shrinkwrapped, they are unstable, etc......ended up being a bigger pain that it was worth, all for roughly a $30/ton discount.

I liked the Super Premium and Premium grading system that PFI had. It put some of the better pellets on top and in their respective price range. PFI has since dumped the SP grade, Putting them all back in one group. Something about a bar graph that will focus on the ash percentage. Not sure how this will pan out as all brands that were the label will still be in the same grade. So it looks like the user will need to check the bar graph before purchase. I understand that PFI labeling isn't on all pellet brands. But most follow the grading as if it was the "industry standard".

I honestly think this is going to be more confusing than what we had. And I really think if were are going to have a grading system it might be better to have a specific grade by ash percentage for the pellet stoves. Something tighter for the users to zero in on. Standard and Industrial would stay the same. A plus would be adding a BTU/pound rating to the mix(this part is tougher as the moisture content goes up, the BTU value goes down).

Premium <0.5%
Mid grade .5 to .7%
Regular >0.7% to 1.0%

But this would be only in a fairy tail/perfect world and all pellets would be priced by actual quality/BTU value. Not the pretty colored or the heavy weight name on the bag! Stove owners need some guidence and IMHO PFI actually took a step backwards!

Status
Not open for further replies.